LANGFORD-L Archives

Archiver > LANGFORD > 2010-01 > 1263792075

From: Marlene Shake <>
Subject: Re: [LANGFORD] Lankford of Stokes County NC, TN, AL
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:21:15 -0800 (PST)

Online data
WE THE CHIKAMAKA RECOGNIZE THAT THE FOLLOWING FAMILY SURNAMES from the South
Cumberland Plateau Region ARE ASSOCIATED as descended from the Chikamaka Roll,
BUT not necessarily ALL-INCLUSIVE AS THOSE OF THE CHIKAMAKA-CHEROKEES OR OF
CHIKAMAKA-CHEROKEE BLOOD AS THE NAMES ARE COMMON. THESE NAMES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Alexander, Anderson, Baker, Bean, Berry, Bible, Bivens, Blackhawk, Blevins,
Bolin, Brewer, Brock, Bryant, Campbell, Choate (Shote, Shoat), Chance, Cheek,
Childers, Clark, Cleek, Cluck, Cooper, Cope, Copeland, Corn, Cox, Crisp, Dye,
Dykes, Duncan, Foster, Fults, Geary, Green, Griffith, Griffin, Haney, Handy,
Hatfield, Hawk, Hawkins, Headrix, Hendrix, Henderson, Hice, Hicks, Hobbs, Holt,
Hornbuckle, Hughes, Ivey, Johnson, Jones, Kilgore, King, Ladd, Lankford, Lawson,
Layne, Lingo, Lovelace, Lowrey (Lowry, Lowrie), Mainord, Mayes, McBee, McDaniel,
McWain, Meeks, Morgan, Myers, Nunley, Newsome, Norris, Northcutt, Orange, Pack,
Parmley, Parson, Patterson, Patrick, Payne, Phipps, Powell, Price, Raper,
Richardson, Roberts, Ross, Salyer, Sanders, Seagroves, Seitz (Sitz), Shadrick, Shelton, Shook, Shorey, Smartt, Saylor, Smith, Tate (Tait), Thomas, Thompson, Turner, Walker, Walter(s), Woodley(lee)
Re: Thomas Lankford B 1780
Posted by: Thelma Lankford (ID *****5015)  Date: July 13, 2004 at 20:34:34
Hello Tonya,
I have a copy of an early census record of Stokes County, N.C., listing Thomas Lankford (on Peter's Creek, I believe) who was a manufacturer there (another census record shows his business employee count and output). It is believed that this Thomas Lankford was the same Thomas Lankford who fought at the Battle of King's Mountain during the American Revolution, and that one of his children was our Thomas Lankford, born about 1780 in North Carolina. If your family is from Stokes County, North Carolina,possibly you can find the names of all or most of the children of the elder Thomas Lankford and go from there. Unfortunately, the census records of that time reflect only the name of the head of household, the ages and sexes of the other persons in his household, and that is all. Our Thomas Lankford married an Indian girl named Phoebe (or Febe)and they moved to Tennessee to fierce Chikamaka territory where their sons Vachel and Silas were born. They had at
least one more child named Nancy, and may have had others, but I have no record of these. This branch of the family did not move back to North Carolina, unless possibly one of Vachel's sons moved back there at some later date, so it is most probable that if the elder Thomas Lankford is your ancestor, you are descended from one of his other sons. I hope this helps in your search. If you need the actual census dates and information, I will have to look it up for you among my genealogy research papers, which are currently in chaos due to a recent move. Another good place to look for the elder Thomas Lankford's children's names would be in his will.Good luck!
Re: Thomas Lankford B 1780
Posted by: Thelma Lankford (ID *****5015)  Date: June 21, 2004 at 12:51:17
It is very possible that the Phebe Lankford to whom you refer was the daughter of Vachel Lankford and his wife Sarah Saloma 'Sallie' Seitz. Their daughter Phoebe Lankford was born in 1846, which would make her the right age. I have no idea why Phoebe may have been in the care of the Patton family, though. Vachel himself was 1/2 American Indian (family history indicates that Vachel's mother Phoebe {Phebe or Febe}was Chikamaka, possibly Shawnee, and Vachel and his brother Silas were born in fierce Chikamaka territory at a time it was not inhabited by white people), so this may have something to do with the fact that this trader may have had her living in his home. Who was this man's wife? Could she have been a relative of Phebe's? Phebe (born 1846) had an older sister named Mary F. Lankford who was born in 1835, but she would have been only about 14 or 15 when Phebe was 3 years old; however, given the fact that in those days women were married at very
young ages....????
---------------------
Re: Thomas Lankford B 1780
Posted by: Thelma Lankford (ID *****5015)  Date: March 25, 2003 at 20:20:07
Dear Dorothy,
In the 1850 Tennessee census, Phebe Lankford, Silas' and Vachel's mother, was living in Grundy County 8th Civil District. Silas Lankford was also living in Grundy County 3rd Civil District. In the 1860 Tennessee census, Mary Lankford and Silas Lankford are living in Grundy County District 4. But in the 1870 Alabama Census Index, Silas Lankford, age 47, Mary Lankford, age 38, Thomas Lankford, age 6, Vatchel Lankford, age 4, and William Lankford, age 11, are all living in Etowah County, Alabama. I found this information in material I have gathered over the years while I was looking through it searching for information on Garrett F. Lankford, one of the soldiers of the Army of Texas during its battle for independence from Mexico. This particular bit was from genealogy library.com in a search for Silas Lankford made 12/13/2001. Evidently Silas and Mary did indeed move to Etowah County, Alabama where his brother Vachel with his wife Sallie was living. Whether
they stayed there, or later returned to Tennessee, I do not know, but one of the Lankford messages at the time I was searching stated that Silas was buried somewhere near Tracy City, Tennessee, so possibly they did return. I hope this helps.
Dear Dorothy,
SOMEWHERE here, I have a copy of a census report in 1860 that shows Silas and Mary with their first three children, Thomas, William and L.Vatchel still in Grundy County, Tennessee well after Vachel and Sara 'Sallie' Seitz Lankford had gone to Alabama. I have assumed that was where they remained. (It is never safe to assume, so they tell me!) I have the listing of his children with Mary Seitz (Sitz), daughter of William Seitz (Sitz) and Elender Choate. Mary's Cherokee name was Mah'Le or Me'Le, as her mother was of Cherokee descent, I am told. You might want to contact some of the descendants of Silas who have posted messages on this web site, mostly in 2000, to find out where they lived out their lives and are buried. Sorry I cannot offer more information!
Marie
Re: Thomas Lankford B 1780
Posted by: Thelma Lankford (ID *****5015)  Date: March 15, 2003 at 11:00:25
Dear Dorothy, You do know that the Thomas Lankford of the Catawba Valley in North Carolina (the generation previous to Thomas Lankford born in N.C. in 1780)is believed to be the same Thomas Lankford who fought in the Battle of King's Mountain during the Revolutionary War?
Thelma Marie
Re: Thomas Lankford B 1780
Posted by: Thelma Lankford (ID *****5015)  Date: March 14, 2003 at 21:15:57
Dear Dorothy, We are indeed of the same family. Our Vachel Lankford was born 1805 in White County, Tennessee, to Thomas Lankford (b. about 1780 in N.C.) and his wife Phoebe, who is reputed to have been "an Indian girl". His brother Silas was born 1812 near Bersheba Springs, Tennessee. Vachel married Sarah Saloma Seitz or Sitz,(b. abt 1810 in N.C.),daughter of Andrew Seitz and Mary Magdalena Bost, about 1827 in North Carolina. Their children were Thomas (b. June 3, 1828 in Tennessee), John Andrew (1829), Silas (1833), Mary F.(1835), Eliza (1838), Elijah (1840), Sarah (1842), Siltany (1844), Phoebe (1846),Austin (1847), Rhoda (1849), and Margaret (1846). Vachel and Sarah and their older children moved from Tennessee to DeKalb County, Alabama, sometime before 1838, when Eliza was born there, as were all the rest of the children born after her, according to the Family History Library of the 'Church of Latter Day Saints' (Mormons). Vachel's son Thomas married
a lady named Mary (Howard?)and their son Levi Lankford was born March 1865 in Louisiana. Their son James Vachel 'Jim' Lankford was born May 5, 1867 in Keener, Alabama. Later Thomas and Mary are found in the Arkansas Indian Lands where Mary is listed as 1/4 Choctaw on the Dawes final roll. Levi married a lady named Georgia Davison or Davidson in Angelina County, Texas on Feb. 2, 1895, and he and Georgia are listed with their 3 year old daughter Josie in the 1900 census of Angelina County. James Vachel married Georgia's older sister Martha Davison in Etowah County, Alabama, June 16, 1889, and they, too, settled in Angelina County, Texas, where they lived their lives and raised their family. Levi Lankford and Georgia Davison were my husband A.J.Lankford's grandparents, his father was their son Harvey James Lankford.
Re: Thomas Lankford B 1780
Posted by: Thelma Lankford (ID *****5015)  Date: April 08, 2002 at 23:41:07
Yes Thomas Lankford was in Warren County, Tennessee, in the 1820s. In 1826 he is listed in Warren County Tennessee Entry Takers Index with land entry number 1922; in 1827 entry number 2497. In 1844 his son Silas is listed with land entry number4885. In the 1830 census of Warren County, Tennessee, Thomas and his wife Phoebe are listed with their children.