LAORLEAN-L Archives

Archiver > LAORLEAN > 2007-12 > 1197811939

From: "Delores Tousinau" <>
Subject: [LAORLEAN] Caswell, Coyle and Portner Families
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 07:32:19 -0600

I am researching the Daniel J Caswell family. Daniel and his wife Mary Bankhead Wilson Caswell came to New Orleans in 1837 from Ohio. They brought two daughters with them and the third was born in 1839 in New Orleans.

Daniel died in 1839 of Yellow Fever and Mary died in 1881. I have copies of both their Death Certificates and obits.

The three daughters were:
1.Margaret Indiana Caswell B: 1823 in Indiana & d: 1889 Pike Co MS.
Margaret married Joseph A Hall who was born 1817 in
Boston MA and died 1851 in San Francisco CA. He was with Haden & Hall Warehouse Commissioners. They lived on Race st at the time of the daughters birth.

Margaret and Joseph's children were:
Joseph Caswell Hall b: 1843 & d: 1846
a.Maria Bartlett Hall b; 1846 in NO & d: Pike Co MS 1884
M: William F Fortenberry
b.Annie Hall b: abt. 1848 & d: Pike Co. MS
M: Willie Fleet Simmons
at some point after Joseph's death Margaret and the two girls moved to MS and she married as his 2nd wife, John Ellzey.

2.Mary Hey (Hay) Caswell b: Ohio 1235 & married Henry A Portner in NO.
I know of at least 4 children born to this couple:
a. Mary B Portner b: 1856
b. Ester McPherson Portner b: 1859
c. John Henry Portner b: 1862
d: Grace Caswell Portner b: 1871

3. Anna Elizabeth Hartshorne Caswell b:NO 1838 & married
William G Coyle.
I know of 6 children born to this couple.
a. Mary Caswell Coyle b: 1868
b. Charles Goodrich Coyle b: 1869
c. William George Coyle b: 1870
d. Francis Langing Coyle b: 1872
e. Anna Portner Coyle b: 1873
f. Stella Horner Coyle b: 1875

In the obit for Daniel J Caswell it states that he was an Attorney. I would like to find what firm if any he was with. Mary Caswell's obit shows that the funeral took place at the home of her son-in-law W. G. Coyle on St. Mary St.
I would love to find where they are buried.

Daniel J Caswell was born in Kent CT and Daniel Johnson son of Daniel Johnson and Currence Averill. Kent CT court records show that he was adopted by Daniel Caswell and wife Amy Averill. Amy Averill was the sister of Currence.
At some point Daniel moved to Indiana/Ohio and practiced law there. He and Mary were married in Cincinnati OH.
I have copies of the court records and the marriage record.

Mary Bankhead Wilson Caswell was born in VA to James Wilson and Mary Bankhead Campbell. After James died Mary Campbell Wilson married as her second husband William Hartshorne. I do not know when they moved to Ohio.

The Caswells had 4 other children who died before they left Ohio.
Infant Caswell B: 1822 died young
Susan Saunders Caswell B: 1823 died young
Henry Hartshorne Caswell B: 1827 died young
Virginia Ann Caswell B: 1832 died young
The last three shown died between December 1832 and January 1833.

Any additional information on this family would be appreciated.

Delores

Slidell LA

This thread: