LATHAM-L Archives

Archiver > LATHAM > 1999-05 > 0928002262

From: Joyce Holeman <>
Subject: LATHAMS[NC SC]>KY>IL.ca 1765
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 11:24:22 -0700

I am new to your list and thought I would post
this research that was done by my cousin Tom Brummett
[desceased] about 20 years ago.I hope some of these
names ring a bell and I can find other descendants,
update and make any needed corrections.

Our earliest known Latham forefather was ELIJAH LATHAM
who was born about 1765 in North Carolina.ELIJAH and
wife BETSY? settled in Christian Co,Ky,in that portion
of the county that later became Todd County,when portions
of Christian and Logan Counties merged to become Todd
County in 1819.

The family of ELIJAH and BETSY LATHAM consisted of four
sons and two daughters in the 1810 census.BAZEL LATHAM,
son of Elijah and Betsy,was a newlywed and enumerated
separately in the 1810 census.Children of Elijah and Betsy:
1-BAZEL b.1788 SC m.PERMELIA MCLAUGHLIN [Our Line]
2-JULIA ANN LATHAM b.1790 SC.m.ABRAHAM HURT 1810
3-JEREMIAH LATHAM b.SC or KY 1793 m.ANN SEARS 1816
4-JOHN LATHAM b.SC or KY 1796 m.SARAH SEARS 1830
5-STEPHEN LATHAM b.Logan Co,KY 1799 m.MARY[POLLY]SEARS
6-JANE LATHAM b.Logan Co,KY 1803 m.ABRAHAM M.SHELTON 1823
7-SQUIRE LATHAM b.LoganCo,KY 1805 m.MARY COLEMAN SHELTON

The eldest son of Elijah and Betsy was BAZEL,spelled in
a variety of ways-BASIL,BAZLE,and BOSWELL.
BAZEL,our forefather married PERMELIA MCLAUGHLIN around
1809,before the 1810 census.In the household of Bazel in
the 1820 census,there were 5 young males and in the 1830
census of Todd Co,KY there were 8 males listed.Known
children of Bazel and Permelia were:
1-ANDREW JACKSON LATHAM b.1818
2-GEORGE WASHINGTON LATHAM b.Mar 3,1824
3-ELIJAH LATHAM
4-STEPHEN[our forefather]b.Jan 6,1819
5-BAZEL LATHAM,JR
6-JEREMIAH LATHAM
7-JONATHON LATHAM
8-EPHRIAM LATHAM
9-HIRAM LATHAM [could be from 2nd marriage]
10-BENJAMIN LATHAM [could be from 2nd marriage]

Following the death of PERMELIA,BAZEL married SUSAN
DRISKILL on July 20,1839.It is believed that Hiram and
Benjamin are children of Bazel and Susan Driskill.

STEPHEN LATHAM[our line]married FRANCIS MCCOLPIN
Jan 21,1848 in Todd Co,Ky.About 1856 Stephen moved
to Crawford Co,Illinois and settled near the McColpins,
south of Palestine,Illinois.

The children of Stephen and Francis are:
1-LEANDER LATHAM
2-TABITHA LATHAM
3-ANDREW LATHAM b.1851
4-NANCY JANE PENELOPE LATHAM [our line] b.1852
5-LUCINDA LATHAM b.1853 m.AMOS SHOULDERS
6-LAFAYETTE LATHAM b.1855
7-LAURA E.LATHAM b.1857
8-REGINA LATHAM b.1860
9-STEPHEN D.LATHAM

OBITUARY OF STEPHEN LATHAM:
[condensed]
Death has again been in our midst and taken from it
a kind neighbor and friend.Stephen Latham was born in
Todd Co,Ky,Jan 6,1819 and died April 6,1900.He was 81
years and 3 mos.He was married to Francis McColpin of
same place,Feb 22,1847.to them were born 10 children,
six still living.
Brother Latham moved to this county in 1852,lived among
us for several years,then moved to Texas,but only stayed
a short time and moved back to this county,where he lived
until his death.
He leaves an aged wife,six children,18 grandchildren and
8 great great grandchildren.
Funeral services were conducted at the house by Rev.McMurry.
The remains were taken to Seaney Cemetery for interment.

Seaney Cemetery is a small cemetery about 6 miles south
of Palestine,Illinois and named after the Seaney family
that donated the land for the graveyard. Also buried at
Seaney Cemetery is C.L.[LEANDER]LATHAM b.Oct 28,1856 d.
May 21,1922.and his wife MARY b.1861 d.1911.Flora,a 4
year old daughter of Leander and Mary is also buried
there.

NANCY JANE PENELOPE LATHAM is believed to have been
born in Todd Co,KY. One record has her being born in
Indiana. She was born Nov 6,1852.NANCY LATHAM married
JAMES A MCGINNIS Sept 23,1868.The marriage was performed
at Palestine,Crawford Co,Illinois.
James A.McGinnis and Nancy had 2 children.
1--Mary Jane McGinnis b.July 10,1869
Mary Jane was raised by a family in Sumner,Illinois and
was known as Ina. Ina[Mary Jane]married James A.Allen.
2-JAMES ALBERT MCGINNIS b.Feb 11,1872 Crawford Co,IL.
NANCY JANE P.LATHAM and JAMES A.MCGINNIS were divorced
and NANCY JANE P.LATHAM married a Mr.SHOULDERS.Four sons
were born of this marriage,three of who are:Edward,Fred,
and Frank Shoulders. A daughter Grace died young.
NANCY and Mr.Shoulders moved to Drumright,Oklahoma. Nancy
died December 30,1951 at the age of 99.She is buried in
North Cemetery,Drumright,OK.

I hope some of this info can help someone----Joyce Holeman

This thread: