LAWSON-L Archives

Archiver > LAWSON > 1999-05 > 0925588790

From: <>
Subject: Re: Northern Ireland Lawson's
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 15:59:50 EDT

Dear George,

I think you may be related to Joseph Rogers (1764-1833) who immigrated as a
young man from County Tyrone, Ireland, to Hawkins County, TN. He worked for
Thomas Amis in his store, and when the Amis' were away, Joseph eloped with
their daughter, Mary Amis. The Amis' didn't approve of her marrying the
hired help , so gave them land as far away from their own home as possible.

Later, Joseph gave the land for the townsite of Rogersville, TN, and that is
how it got it's name. Joseph and Mary had 14 children. He was the son of
James Rogers and Elizabeth Brown of Ireland.

The Amis family (and Mary and Joseph Rogers) has a brief biograpny in the
history book published by the Hawkins County historical society in 1994. The
contributor was an Amis descendent, Mary Teresa Beal Doty, 223 Bell Street,
Blountville, TN. 37617.

I suggest you contact Mary Doty and the Hawkins County Genealogical and
Historical Society, P. O. Box 429, Rogersville, TN. 37857. Perhaps they
will have a list of researchers who are studying this Rogers family.

I think perhaps the reason Joseph Rogers came directly to Hawkins County, TN,
is to join his Rogers relatives who had immigrated much earlier.

Let me know what you find out.

Mary Fern

This thread: