LAWSON-L Archives

Archiver > LAWSON > 1999-11 > 0944022167

From: <>
Subject: Re: Indian Lawsons/Hannah Potts
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:22:47 EST

Lee,

No, I don't have any information about Drewry's parents. I have only
recently confirmed my theories about the father of Amos Lawson! Today I
copied all the 1830 and 1840 census information about the Lawson's in
Claiborne and Hawkins Co., TN.
Did you know that all the Lawson's of Hawkins County are indexed as living in
Hamilton Co., TN in 1840? I can post those entries after I get back to
Indiana this weekend. I am back tracking on Amos and Rebecca. I can't find
them in the 1840 census! I know he sold land in Monroe Co., IN in 1842, but
I didn't find where he acquired that land. It was probably an original
patent. Reuben Aynes was in Martin Co., IN in the 1840 census and I wonder
if Amos could have been in his household?

I know I told you about Melsina Lawson living in Davis Co., IA in 1900. I
have found her family in Decatur Co., IN in 1870 and 1880. I had mixed her
with Melsina Gallion Lawson, wife of Gabriel Lawson, in the 1870 and 1900
census. The names of the 2 ladies children were very similar.

Recently I found her with James Lawson, born 1818 in Virginia, in Decatur
Co., IN in the 1860 census. She was 4 years older than James first daughter
Martha at that time. He must have died before 1870 because she was a widow.
James Lawson's children were: Martha, Robert D., Mary J., Hudson, Alexander,
Louis McC., Horace Harvey, Penelope, Holman, Mella, and Thomas J. I don't
which children belonged to Melsina. The first 4 were born before 1860.

There are more Indian records available for research as we get time to check
them.
I have a copy of Emmet Starr's HISTORY OF THE CHEROKEE INDIANS but there is
nothing in it about the Lawson family! Slowly we make some headway with our
family, but sometimes I think we have looked in all the places where records
might have been found. I have searched for 35 years, but it easier to do
research now than ever before. The Internet is allowing us to reach cousins
that we never dreamed possible even 10 years ago. I have found only one
other person looking for Amos family after all these years.

Mary

This thread: