LAWSON-L ArchivesArchiver > LAWSON > 2003-02 > 1044905912
From: "Leathel Bowles" <>
Subject: [Lawson List] Bowles-Lawson #10
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:38:32 -0500
A Headright was 200 acres. They started granting Headrights in 1623
after everything else failed. The Lawsons and Bowles were members of the
London Company. In 1623 Sir Lord Mayor George Bowles of London died, the
London Company split into the Virginia Company & New England Company,
and Headrights were born. I don't have any records of any Bowles or
Lawson getting a headright in the 1620's, but I know John Bowles got one
in 1625. I would say the Lawsons got some also, because some Lawsons
were in VA in 1624-25. Back River was first in Elizabeth City Co, 1636
Norfolk Co, and 1699 Princess Anna Co,VA. I want the Lawsons to keep
this in mind for later.
(289) EPAPHRODITUS LAWSON , 200 acres at the head of BACK
RIVER. and adjoining a dam called Scone's dam, and extending to the
Poquoson; due said Lawson by deed of sale dated Oct. 8, 1635.
Following are the early grants to the name of Lawson:
(1) Epaphroditus Lawson, 200 acres in the county of Warrosquiacke [Isle
Wight], on Nansemond River, December 23, 1636.
(2) Christopher Lawson and Richard Bell, 500 acres in the county of
JamesCity, May 23, 1637.
(3) Epaphroditus Lawson. 200 acres in Isle of Wight county, on Nansemond
River, November 1,1637.
(4) Epaphroditus Lawson, 50 acres in Isle of Wight, at the mouth of
Warwicksqueche river, "alias New Towne Haven, " November 30. 1637.
(5) Epaphroditus Lawson, 250 acres on the south side of Nansemond
River,May 29, 1638.
(6) Christopher Lawson, 400 in James City. upon " Rolphe's Creek, "May
(7) Epaphroditus Lawson, 250 in the county of "Upper New Norfolke "
[Nansemond], on "Chuckatuck River," March 15, 1638.
(8) William Lawson, 491 in Isle of Wight, on Lowne's Creek and James
River, August 22, 1642.
(9) Epaphroditus Lawson, 1,400 in Upper Norfolk, upon " New Towne Haven
river," and adjoining a bay "called Mount Lawson Bay," the land of Moore
Fauntleroy, and a creek "called Baverly Creeke," November 20, 1637.
Among the head-rights are
Epaphroditus, William, Lettice, and Rowland Lawson, and persons named
Palmer, Moore, Arden, Fee, Cricklock, Billahea, Harper, and Taylor.
|[Lawson List] Bowles-Lawson #10 by "Leathel Bowles" <>|