LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0881017937

From: Buddy and Joyce Dunning <>
Subject: Mitchell Cemetery
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 15:12:17 -0800

The Mitchell Cemetery, as mentioned in Mrs. E. Arwanna Kyle's book "Our
Ancestral Plots, Caldwell County, KY. Cemeteries" is the burying ground
for several other persons unknown to Mrs. Kyle. Following is a quote
from a letter written to me by the late Miss Fanny Newsom, early
historian of Caldwell County.

"Aug 22, 1964

We will stop at Newsom Cemetery. My mother & father (Wm. Hosea Newsom
and Mary Irene Kenady) and 2 brothers (Elbert Ray Newsom & Oscar Kenady
Newsom) are there, also my Newsom grandparents (Hosea Newsom and Martha
Morris) and Penelope Smith Morris Waterfield, (widow of Abraham Morris).
Her grave does not have a marker but is by my grandparents. Abraham was
just across road and grave is lost. Straight across road from cemetery
and on up on a hill not more than 1/4 mile, is old cemetery where
Nathaniel Nichols and Susanna (Susanna Ward Newsom) are buried. No one
knows their graves. Sam & Bettie Mitchell are there. Also Sam, Ki and
Adaline's father, Chestly Mitchell. I can just remember him. Uncle Mac
McCain, Tom's grandfather is there, also small brothers and sisters of
Tom."

This Mitchell Cemetery and the Newsom Cemetery are in the Pleasant Grove
Church Community on Hwy #91, south of Princeton, Kentucky.
Joyce Dunning

This thread: