LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0881734524

From: KyKid10062 <>
Subject: Western Ky
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 01:15:24 EST

There is a book entitled "JEFFERSON'S NEPHEWS," that is a must for Western
Kentucky researchers, and also anyone who may be researching the LEWIS
families of Livingston Co. or Albermarle Co., Virginia. Anyone who is
researching their ancestors in Livingston Co. may find them either mentioned
or even a good description of them. It gives an in-depth look at how our
ancestors of that area lived in the early 1800's. The book is about Lilburne
and Randolph Lewis, Thomas Jefferson's nephews, who along with their father
Charles L., moved from Albermarle Co., to Livingston Co. in 1808. One of these
nephews murdered one of his slaves in 1811 just hours before the devastating
New Madrid earthquake hit. This book is very well written and researched by
BOYNTON MERRILL, JR. In 1962 Mr. Merrill bought land in Livingston Co. that
had once belonged to the Lewis' of Albermarle Co., Va. He also bought the
folklore surrounding the Lewis' plantation that inspired him to research the
murder of the slave. I found one of my ancestors brothers mentioned. I don't
know if the book is still in print or not. It might be found at your public
library or inquire at your local book store. Avon Books, A div. of The Hearst
Corp., 959 Eighth Ave, New York, N. Y. 10019. If I can answer any questions
for you, feel free to e-mail me.
Robbie Story

This thread: