LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0881810075

From: "Betty Sellers" <>
Subject: Death of Grover Cleveland Pye
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:14:35 -0800

Hopkinsville New Era
1886

Thursday evening the train ran over GROVER CLEVELAND, the bull dog owned by
MR. JIMMIE PYE. Grover was well known by all, especially those of the
canine breed. We can't say whether there is rejoicing or lamenting among
them, as Grover whipped everything that came along, except the steam engine.
He tackled that on Thursday evening, and not getting a fair hold resulted as
above stated. He had however a warm friend in his neighbor, BELVA LOCKWOOD
WRIGHT, a little water spaniel "belonging to JOHN WRIGHT. "BELL" has been
trained to carry messages to the different stores on Main street, so all
yesterday morning she was very busy carrying the "funeral" notices of Grover
from door to door, each merchant reading it and returning the same. She
carried the following TO MR. JIMMIE PYE.

CONDOLENCE
Accept the sympathy and regrets of BELVA LOCKWOOD WRIGHT, for your
misfortune in the loss of your fond associate and my kind friend GROVES
CLEVELAND PYE.

BELVA L. WRIGHT
Betty Sellers

This thread: