LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0881885856

From: "Marion Donaldson" <>
Subject: Re: 1886 Madisonville Times
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 97 16:17:36 PST

While delivering mail, my father had to stop his car to remove a tree or limb that had fallen across the road as it was too large to drive over. When he got out to remove it,it was gone! He kept this to himnself(as it sounded like a "likely story"). for a time until he heard some old-timers talking about older people who had spotted especially large snakes several years prior to this time.It would have been in southern Trigg,probably Donaldson-Linton area.Was told that LBL area is growing large ones again since is unoccupied. Any other snake stories? Marion

----------
> 1886 Madisonville Times
>
> The MADISONVILLE TIMES reports a most thrilling episode. " A young lady
> here, MISS MOLLIE BACON, had a terrible experience last Sunday. she had
> been visiting at her grandfather's, int he country, and the parlor of her
> father's house had b een unused for several days. She returned Saturday and
> Sunday she went into the parlor, laid down and fell asleep. She was aroused
> by a sense of suffocation and felt something on her neck and face. She
> sprang to her feet, when to her horrors she discovered that she had been
> disturbed by a venomous snake, a spreading viper. Miss Bacon's mother tried
> to sweep it out. It did not seem to be vicious, only crawled around the
> pillow, as though seeking for warmth. It was finally killed. Another
> citizen in that part of town found one of these same retiles in his house a
> few days ago.
>
> Betty Sellers

This thread: