LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0881990586

From: "Marion Donaldson" <>
Subject: Re: CEMETERY MEETING SUNDAY
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 97 21:23:06 PST

Betty, few years ago was visiting with Robert Joyce and Otis Joyce of Cadiz who said the first Joyces were buried in old Joyce or Joycetown Cemetery near where the tourist center is now,evidently unmarked and undocumented in all the books.It is not the Turner Cem. Just wondered if the cemeterries being cleaned are perhaps remote and uncharted. Robert Joyce said hardly anyone knew the location,but he did. If anyone on the committee knows this,would like to hear

----------
> PROJECT UNDER WAY TO CLEAN LAND BETWEEN THE LAKES CEMETERIES
> Cadiz Record Dec 10, 1997
>
> Rescue Our Cemeteries, a project of Between the Rivers families and friends,
> has begun an effort to locate and clean all cemeteries in the Land Between
> the Lakes.
>
> Last Saturday, more than 30 volunteers, armed with rakes, pruning shears and
> other yard tools, sought out three secluded graveyards. A pre-Civil War
> tombstone was unearthed at one heavily wooded site and ahuge turn of the
> century monument surrounded by ancient ornamental fence was found at
> another. At a third cemetery, a handmade cross was placed where more than
> 100 year old wood markers had deteriorated.
>
> The project will continue Saturday. Volunteers will meet at 8 a.m. at Miss
> Scarlett's Restaurant on Ky 453 in Grand Rivers before going to cemeteries
> designated for cleaning that day.
>
> If you'd like to volunteer or have informtion about LBL cemeteries, call
> (502) 388-4850, 388,-2555, or 753 -4934.
>
> CEMETERY MEETING SUNDAY
>
> About 80 of the more than 200 known cemeteries in LBL are in Trigg County.
> Former residents or their descendants are urged to attend a meeting Sunday
> about the cemeteries between the lakes.
>
> The meeting will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday in the courtroom of the Lyon County
> Courthouse in Eddyville.
>
> For information, call (502) 388-4850 , 3882555
> Betty Sellers

This thread: