LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0882227501

From: "Betty Sellers" <>
Subject: obituary 1905
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:11:41 -0800

Thursday
January 19, 1905

* I think if I'm not mistaken the family cemetery on Hurricane Creek would
be the Sivills graveyard formerly on the Sanders place and then on the
Faughn place. The old school house they are talking about sat on a cliff
above the Hurricane Creek if I'm not mistaken...

Good Lady
Passes Away At a Ripe Old Age Last Thursday
Mother of Dr. W.C. Cunningham Called to Her Reward --
Was a Daughter of the Revolution
Mrs. Bettie Sivills Cunningham died at the home of her son, Dr. W.C.
Cunningham, in this city, last Thursday night of the infirmities of old age.
Mrs. Cunningham was born in Trigg county, where she had lived all her life,
and would have been ninety years old the 23rd of next April. She was the
widow of the late Mickins Cunningham, who preceded her to the grave over
sixteen years. She was the last of a number of brothers and sisters to
depart this life, and was a Daughter of the Revolution. Her father, Thomas
Sivills, fought through the Revolutionary War, and was in the battle of New
Orleans. She was married in 1832 to Mickins Cunningham, and to that union
nine children were born, four of whom survive her. They are R.W.
Cunningham, Dr. W.C. Cunningham, Mrs. C.T. Hendrick, and Mrs. Missouria
Hendrick, all of this county. In 1836 she professed faith in Christ and
united with the Baptist Church at a school house on Hurricane Creek, and was
one of the charter members of the old Hurricane Baptist Church, and lived a
consecrated member of the church until the end. She had fought a good
fight, had kept the faith, and closed her eyes on earth to peace with all
mankind and with her Master. She leaves four children, forty nine grand
children, eighty nine great great grand children and six great great grand
children. She had seen seven generations, which can be said by but few.
hEr remains were laid to rest last Friday afternoon in the old family
graveyard on Hurricane Creek amid a large crowd of sorrowing relatives and
friends.

Betty Sellers

This thread: