LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0883270510

From: "Betty Sellers" <>
Subject: Bethesda News 1906
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 16:55:10 -0800

January 26, 1906
Bethesda
Editor Record - It has been a long time since I wrote to your valuable
paper, but have greatly enjoyed reading the letters written by other
correspondents especially Dr. John Cunningham's letters. I see quite a
number of marriages in the last issue of your paper, several with whom I am
personally acquainted and wish them all much happiness. We had a nice time
during the holidays, although there was but few entertainments given.
There was a pound supper at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Waymond Litchfield
on last Monday night. The weather being very unfavorable, the crowd was not
nearly so large as it would have been had the weather permitted. But a
sumptuous supper was served, including everything anyone might desire, and
all present seemed to enjoyt hemselves and feel welcome.
There has been a considerable amount of visiting and moving among our
neighbors lateley.
Miss Ida Faughn visited the Misses Russell during the holidays.
Mrs. Roxie Hall visited her brother, Jack Mitchell and wife, at the place
formerly known as the Dotson residence and her parents near Blue Spring
during the holidays.
Ferdie Carpenter met with a very painful accident last week. While running
in pursuit of game, holding a double-barrel, breach-loading gun, with
hammers back, he slipped and fell and the discharge bursted his gun, the
splintered flying in his face inflicted a painful wound.
You know it is "ever good thing must come to an end, and we suppose our fun
and frolics came to an end on old Xmas night by Green parker giving a
tobacco stripping and stag dance, which was reported awful funny; and after
the sweet comes the bitter, for we are all scared half to death about
small-pox. Bethesday school was dismissed on account of that dreadful
disease. Several people near here have been vaccinated while several others
have small-pox. BILL.

Betty Sellers

This thread: