LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0883330687

From: "Jean Smallwood" <>
Subject: Will of James BARRETT - dated 1789
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 11:38:07 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BD1385.10FAEC60

In the name of God amen I James BARRETT OF THE County of Albemarle being =
of sound sence and memory do make and ordain this my last will and =
testament in manner & for__ following 1st It is my will and desire that =
out of my whole estate all my just debts be paid. Item. I give and =
bequeath unto my nephew James BARRETT son of John BARRETT all my estate =
both personal and real (excepting one black man) to him his heirs & =
assigns forever. Item. I give and bequeath to my nephew James BARRETT =
son of Thomas BARRETT my black riding mare to him his heirs and assigns =
forever. Item. In case James BARRETT son of John BARRETT should die =
before he arrives to the age of twenty one years and without lawful =
issue I do in that case give and bequeath to my nephew Peter Stranchan =
BARRETT, son of John BARRETT all the estate both real and personal which =
I have given to the said James BARRETT to him the said Peter Stranchan =
BARRETT his heirs and assigns forever. Item. I constitute and appoint my =
brothers John BARRETT and William BARRETT and George DIVERS executors of =
this my last will and testament; hereby revoking all former wills made =
by me. In witness whereof I have herewith set my hand and affixed my =
seal this sixteenth day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand =
seven hundred and eighty nine. James BARRETT (seal) Signed and sealed in =
presence of George GILMER, Thomas DIVERS, Charles MINOR

At Albemarl September Court 1789: This last will of testament of James =
BARRETT, deceased was produced into court, and proven by the oaths of =
Thomas DIVERS and Charles MINOR two of the witnesses thereto and ordered =
to be recorded and probate of the same was granted George DIVERS one of =
the executors therein named who fave bond and security according to law. =
Teste John NICHOLS CC - a COPY - Teste Ira GARRETT CC

State of Virginia Albemarle County: I Ira GARRETT Clerk of the County =
Court of said County do certify that the foregoing will of James BARRETT =
Deceased is truly copied from the records of said Court as well as the =
order admitting the same to record as fully and wholly as the same ___ =
exists therein. In testimony whereof I have hereto set my hand and =
affixed the seal of the said County Court this 31 day of August 1854 in =
the 79th year of the Commonwealth, Ira GARRETT Clk (seal)

State of Virginia Albemarle County: I John BANCOCK a justice of the =
peace in and for the County aforesaid and presiding Justice of the =
County Court of said County di herey certify that Ira GARRETT who has =
signed the above certificate is now and was at the date therefore Clerk =
of the County Court of said County, duly ______ & qualified as such and =
that his attestation is in __ _____ (due form ?). Given under my hand =
this 3 day September 1854. J. J. BANCOCK P. Justice

State of Kentucky Lyon County: I A H DUDLEY Clerk of the County Court =
for the County aforesaid do Certify that at a Called term of the County =
Court for said County held at the Court house in Eddyville on Tuesday 5 =
July 1859. The foregoing instrument of writing purporting to be an =
authentication copy and certificate thereof of the last will and =
testament of James BARRETT Deceased which was ordered to be recorded. =
Thereupon I have truly recorded the same with the certificates thereto =
attached together with this my certificate in my office given under my =
hand this 5 day of July 1859. A. H. DUDLEY, Clk

Jean Smallwood
E-Mail:
Home Page: http://www.netcom.com/~jeansmal/genhome.html

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BD1385.10FAEC60

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>
<P>In the name of God amen I <B>James BARRETT</B> OF THE County of =
Albemarle=20
being of sound sence and memory do make and ordain this my last will and =

testament in manner & for__ following 1<SUP>st</SUP> It is my will =
and=20
desire that out of my whole estate all my just debts be paid. Item. I =
give and=20
bequeath unto my nephew <B>James BARRETT</B> son of <B>John</B> =
<B>BARRETT</B>=20
all my estate both personal and real (excepting one black man) to him =
his heirs=20
& assigns forever. Item. I give and bequeath to my nephew <B>James=20
BARRETT</B> son of <B>Thomas BARRETT</B> my black riding mare to him his =
heirs=20
and assigns forever. Item. In case <B>James BARRETT</B> son <B>of John =
BARRETT=20
</B>should die before he arrives to the age of twenty one years and =
without=20
lawful issue I do in that case <B>give and bequeath to my nephew Peter =
Stranchan=20
BARRETT, son of John</B> BARRETT all the estate both real and personal =
which I=20
have given to the said James BARRETT to him the said <B>Peter Stranchan=20
BARRETT</B> his heirs and assigns forever. <B>Item. </B>I<B> =
</B>constitute and=20
appoint my brothers<B> John BARRETT and William BARRETT</B> and =
<B>George=20
DIVERS</B> executors of this my last will and testament; hereby revoking =
all=20
former wills made by me. In witness whereof I have herewith set my hand =
and=20
affixed my seal this sixteenth day of February in the year of our Lord =
one=20
thousand seven hundred and eighty nine. <B>James BARRETT</B> (seal) =
Signed and=20
sealed in presence of <B>George GILMER</B>, <B>Thomas DIVERS</B>, =
Charles=20
MINOR</P>
<P>At Albemarl September Court 1789: This last will of testament of =
<B>James=20
BARRETT</B>, deceased was produced into court, and proven by the oaths =
of=20
<B>Thomas DIVERS</B> and <B>Charles MINOR</B> two of the witnesses =
thereto and=20
ordered to be recorded and probate of the same was granted <B>George</B> =

<B>DIVERS</B> one of the executors therein named who fave bond and =
security=20
according to law. Teste <B>John NICHOLS</B> CC - a COPY - Teste <B>Ira=20
GARRETT</B> CC</P>
<P>State of Virginia Albemarle County: I <B>Ira GARRETT</B> Clerk of the =
County=20
Court of said County do certify that the foregoing will of <B>James</B>=20
<B>BARRETT</B> Deceased is truly copied from the records of said Court =
as well=20
as the order admitting the same to record as fully and wholly as the =
same ___=20
exists therein. In testimony whereof I have hereto set my hand and =
affixed the=20
seal of the said County Court this 31 day of August 1854 in the =
79<SUP>th</SUP>=20
year of the Commonwealth, <B>Ira GARRETT</B> Clk (seal)</P>
<P>State of Virginia Albemarle County: I <B>John BANCOCK</B> a justice =
of the=20
peace in and for the County aforesaid and presiding Justice of the =
County Court=20
of said County di herey certify that <B>Ira GARRETT</B> who has signed =
the above=20
certificate is now and was at the date therefore Clerk of the County =
Court of=20
said County, duly ______ & qualified as such and that his =
attestation is in=20
__ _____ (due form ?). Given under my hand this 3 day September 1854. =
<B>J. J.=20
BANCOCK</B> P. Justice</P>
<P>State of Kentucky Lyon County: I <B>A H DUDLEY</B> Clerk of the =
County Court=20
for the County aforesaid do Certify that at a Called term of the County =
Court=20
for said County held at the Court house in Eddyville on Tuesday 5 July =
1859. The=20
foregoing instrument of writing purporting to be an authentication copy =
and=20
certificate thereof of the last will and testament of <B>James =
BARRETT</B>=20
Deceased which was ordered to be recorded. Thereupon I have truly =
recorded the=20
same with the certificates thereto attached together with this my =
certificate in=20
my office given under my hand this 5 day of July 1859. <B>A. H. =
DUDLEY</B>,=20
Clk</FONT></P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Jean Smallwood<BR>E-Mail:&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:"></A><BR>Home=
=20
Page:&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://www.netcom.com/~jeansmal/genhome.html">http://www.netcom.c=
om/~jeansmal/genhome.html</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BD1385.10FAEC60--

This thread: