LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0883349867

From: "Jean Smallwood" <>
Subject: Will of Charles LEWIS: Lyon Co KY
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 16:57:47 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01BD13B1.B92CC4E0

In the name of God Amen. I Charles LEWIS of Albemarle County and parish =
of St. Anns do constitute this my last will and testament in manner and =
form following Viz: It is my will and desire that my debts be first paid =
and to enable my executors the better to do so. It is my will and desire =
that they should sell my land upon Ivy Creek. Item. I lend to my beloved =
wife Mary LEWIS during her natural life five hundred acres of land =
including the houses and plantation. Also the fourth part of my negroes =
and all my house hold furniture and the fourth part of my stock of all =
kinds. Item. I give and bequeath the residue of my negroes and other =
personal estate to be equally dived among my children to them and their =
heirs forever and in case of the death of either of my said children =
their part of the estate to be equally divided among the survivers - and =
that at the death of my said wife her part of the negroes and other =
personal estate be equally divided among my said children as above =
mentioned. Item. I give and bequeath to my two sons Howell and Charles =
Warner and their heirs forever my tract of land in the North Garden to =
be equally divided between them in quantity and quality. I do hereby =
appoint my beloved wife Mary LEWIS Executrix, Col Charles LEWIS of B =
Island, Charles L. LEWIS, Bennette HENDERSON, Charles HANDSON and my =
brother Nicholas LEWIS executors this my last will and testament. Given =
under my hand and seal this 11th day of June 1776. Charles LEWIS (seal) =
Signed sealed & published in presence of John THOMAS, Bennitte =
HENDERSON, Charles L. LEWIS

Since writing the above will I find it necessary from the preganancy of =
my said wife to make some provision issue Viz: if it should be as son he =
is to share my lands equally with my other sons in the manner mentioned =
in the above will and likewise my p ersonal estate. If it be a daughter =
she is to be provided for in the same manner as my other daughters =
mentioned in the above will. This is a codicil to the above will given =
and seal under my hand this 7 day of September 1776. Charles LEWIS =
(seal) Signed sealed & published in presence of Nicholas LEWIS, Chs =
HUDSON

As Albemarle May Court 1779: This last will and testament of Charles =
LEWIS deceased was proved by the oaths of John THOMAS, Bennette =
HENDERSON AND Charles L. LEWIS ____ thereto and the codical proven by =
the oaths of Nicholas LEWIS and Charles HUDSON which together with the =
will ordered to be recorded. The executors forwarded a letter from the =
______ to his wife ______ that the said codical should be annexed which =
is ordered to be lodged in the office with the will codicil. And on the =
motion of Charles Lilbone LEWIS, Bennette HENDERSON, Nicholas LEWIS and =
Charles HUDSON executors therein named who made oaths according to =
law-certificate is granted them for obtaining a probate in due form =
whereupon they gave bond with Charles WINGFIELD, Christopher HUDSON, =
John KEY and John WORD their securities and they acknowledged the said =
accordingly. Teste John NICKOLAS CC

State of Virginia Albemarle County: I Ira GARRETT Clerk of the county =
court of Albemarle County in the State of Virginia do hereby certify =
that the foregoing will codicil and order and qualification of the =
executors are duly copied from the records of said court as fully and =
wholly as the same now exists therein. In testimony whereof I have =
hereunto set my name and affixed the seal of said court this 26 day of =
December in the year 1859. Ira GARRETT CC

State of Virginia Albemarle County: I John I. BANCOCK the presiding =
justice of the court of Albemarle County in the state of Virginia do =
hereby certify that Ira GARRETT is clerk of the county court of said =
county duly elected and qualified and that his attestation is in due =
form. Given under my hand this 26 day of December 1859. J. J. BANCOCK P. =
J.

State of Virginia Albemarle County to wit: I Ira GARRETT clerk of the =
county court of said court do hereby certify that John J. BANCOCK who =
has signed the above certificate is the presiding justice of said court =
duly commissioned and qualified and that his certificate is in due form. =
In testimony where I have hereunto set my hand and affixed the seal of =
said court this 16 day of December in the year 1859. Ira GARRETT CC

State of Kentucky Lyon County: I A. H. DUDLEY clerk of the county court =
for the county aforesaid do certify that at a county court begun and =
held for said county on Monday the 20 day of April 1860 the foregoing =
instrument of writing purporting to be an authenticated copy of the last =
will and testament of Chs LEWIS dec late of Albemarle County Virginia =
and ordered to be recorded as a will of real estate. Whereupon I have =
truly recorded the same with the certificate thereon with this my =
certificate in my office. Given under my hand this 30th day of April =
1860. A. H. DUDLEY, Clk

Jean Smallwood
E-Mail:
Home Page: http://www.netcom.com/~jeansmal/genhome.html

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01BD13B1.B92CC4E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>
<P>In the name of God Amen. I <B>Charles LEWIS</B> of Albemarle County =
and=20
parish of St. Anns do constitute this my last will and testament in =
manner and=20
form following Viz: It is my will and desire that my debts be first paid =
and to=20
enable my executors the better to do so. It is my will and desire that =
they=20
should sell my land upon Ivy Creek. Item. I lend to my beloved wife =
<B>Mary=20
LEWIS</B> during her natural life five hundred acres of land including =
the=20
houses and plantation. Also the fourth part of my negroes and all my =
house hold=20
furniture and the fourth part of my stock of all kinds. Item. I give and =

bequeath the residue of my negroes and other personal estate to be =
equally dived=20
among my children to them and their heirs forever and in case of the =
death of=20
either of my said children their part of the estate to be equally =
divided among=20
the survivers - and that at the death of my said wife her part of the =
negroes=20
and other personal estate be equally divided among my said children as =
above=20
mentioned. Item. I give and bequeath to my two sons <B>Howell</B> and =
<B>Charles=20
Warner</B> and their heirs forever my tract of land in the North Garden =
to be=20
equally divided between them in quantity and quality. I do hereby =
appoint my=20
beloved wife <B>Mary LEWIS</B> Executrix, <B>Col Charles LEWIS</B> of B =
Island,=20
<B>Charles L. LEWIS</B>, <B>Bennette HENDERSON</B>, <B>Charles</B>=20
<B>HANDSON</B> and my brother <B>Nicholas LEWIS</B> executors this my =
last will=20
and testament. Given under my hand and seal this 11<SUP>th</SUP> day of =
June=20
1776. <B>Charles LEWIS</B> (seal) Signed sealed & published in =
presence of=20
<B>John</B> <B>THOMAS</B>, <B>Bennitte HENDERSON</B>, <B>Charles L.=20
LEWIS</P></B>
<P>Since writing the above will I find it necessary from the preganancy =
of my=20
said wife to make some provision issue Viz: if it should be as son he is =
to=20
share my lands equally with my other sons in the manner mentioned in the =
above=20
will and likewise my p ersonal estate. If it be a daughter she is to be =
provided=20
for in the same manner as my other daughters mentioned in the above =
will. This=20
is a codicil to the above will given and seal under my hand this 7 day =
of=20
September 1776. <B>Charles LEWIS</B> (seal) Signed sealed & =
published in=20
presence of <B>Nicholas LEWIS</B>, <B>Chs HUDSON</P></B>
<P>As Albemarle May Court 1779: This last will and testament of =
<B>Charles</B>=20
<B>LEWIS</B> deceased was proved by the oaths of <B>John THOMAS</B>, =
<B>Bennette=20
HENDERSON</B> AND <B>Charles</B> <B>L. LEWIS</B> ____ thereto and the =
codical=20
proven by the oaths of <B>Nicholas LEWIS</B> and <B>Charles HUDSON</B> =
which=20
together with the will ordered to be recorded. The executors forwarded a =
letter=20
from the ______ to his wife ______ that the said codical should be =
annexed which=20
is ordered to be lodged in the office with the will codicil. And on the =
motion=20
of <B>Charles</B> <B>Lilbone LEWIS</B>, <B>Bennette HENDERSON</B>,=20
<B>Nicholas</B> <B>LEWIS</B> and <B>Charles HUDSON</B> executors therein =
named=20
who made oaths according to law-certificate is granted them for =
obtaining a=20
probate in due form whereupon they gave bond with <B>Charles =
WINGFIELD</B>,=20
<B>Christopher</B> <B>HUDSON</B>, <B>John KEY</B> and <B>John WORD</B> =
their=20
securities and they acknowledged the said accordingly. Teste <B>John=20
NICKOLAS</B> CC</P>
<P>State of Virginia Albemarle County: I <B>Ira GARRETT</B> Clerk of the =
county=20
court of Albemarle County in the State of Virginia do hereby certify =
that the=20
foregoing will codicil and order and qualification of the executors are =
duly=20
copied from the records of said court as fully and wholly as the same =
now exists=20
therein. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my name and affixed =
the seal=20
of said court this 26 day of December in the year 1859. <B>Ira =
GARRETT</B>=20
CC</P>
<P>State of Virginia Albemarle County: I <B>John I. BANCOCK</B> the =
presiding=20
justice of the court of Albemarle County in the state of Virginia do =
hereby=20
certify that <B>Ira GARRETT</B> is clerk of the county court of said =
county duly=20
elected and qualified and that his attestation is in due form. Given =
under my=20
hand this 26 day of December 1859. <B>J. J. BANCOCK</B> P. J.</P>
<P>State of Virginia Albemarle County to wit: I <B>Ira GARRETT</B> clerk =
of the=20
county court of said court do hereby certify that <B>John J. BANCOCK</B> =
who has=20
signed the above certificate is the presiding justice of said court duly =

commissioned and qualified and that his certificate is in due form. In =
testimony=20
where I have hereunto set my hand and affixed the seal of said court =
this 16 day=20
of December in the year 1859. <B>Ira GARRETT</B> CC</P>
<P>State of Kentucky Lyon County: I <B>A. H. DUDLEY </B>clerk of the =
county=20
court for the county aforesaid do certify that at a county court begun =
and held=20
for said county on Monday the 20 day of April 1860 the foregoing =
instrument of=20
writing purporting to be an authenticated copy of the last will and =
testament of=20
<B>Chs LEWIS</B> dec late of Albemarle County Virginia and ordered to be =

recorded as a will of real estate. Whereupon I have truly recorded the =
same with=20
the certificate thereon with this my certificate in my office. Given =
under my=20
hand this 30<SUP>th</SUP> day of April 1860. <B>A. H. DUDLEY</B>,=20
Clk</FONT></P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Jean Smallwood<BR>E-Mail:&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:"></A><BR>Home=
=20
Page:&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://www.netcom.com/~jeansmal/genhome.html">http://www.netcom.c=
om/~jeansmal/genhome.html</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01BD13B1.B92CC4E0--

This thread: