LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0883356696

From: "Jean Smallwood" <>
Subject: Will of Howell LEWIS
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 18:51:36 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0071_01BD13C1.9FBCAC40

In the name of God Amen. I Howell LEWIS of the County of Albemarle and =
State of Virginia do hereby make this my last will and testament =
revoking all other wills and testament heretofore made by me. Item 1st I =
wish all my just debts paid off as soon as possible. Item 2nd I lend to =
my beloved wife Mary LEWIS during her natural life all my estate both =
real and personal. Item 3rd after the death of my beloved wife Mary =
LEWIS as aforesaid all my estate both real and personal I wish and do =
hereby will to be sold for cash so on a seasonable credit as my =
executors hereafter named may think best and the proceeds thereof to be =
divided among the following persons viz: Mary H. HARRIS wife of Clifton =
HARRIS (in trust) in the hands of my two sons. Thos. F. LEWIS and Jas H. =
LEWIS and my friend Jno L. THOMAS as to be taken possession by them and =
be used and appropriated by them to the sole use and purpose of =
supporting my daughter Mary H. HARRIS wife of Clifton HARRIS as =
aforesaid and her children in any way and manner they in their judgement =
may think proper from time to time for the comfort and support of my =
said daughter Mary H. and her children aforesaid during the life of my =
said daughter and at her death to be equally divided (if anything is =
left) among her children - Thos F. LEWIS my son Jas H. LEWIS my son and =
also Jane E. JONES my granddaughter who was Jane E. TALIAFERRO the =
daughter of my daughter Ann Caroline TALIAFERRO who married Fletcher =
TALIAFERRO (my daughter Ann C. having departed this life) dividing =
between them two the said Jane E. JONES & Charles L. TALIAFERRO one =
fifth of my estate. To my grandchildren by my daughter Sarah M. HARRIS =
who is now dead and who married Ira HARRIS I give an equal part of my =
estate being one fifth upon the following condition - Whereas I am =
informed that a good many years since that my son Thos F. LEWIS became =
security for Ira HARRIS father of the above children by Sarah M. my =
daughter in a bond executed by the said Ira HARRIS to a certain Marshall =
DURRETT who is now dead and there being a balance due and unpaid of that =
bond between $900 & 100$ which my son Thomas F. LEWIS is bound with the =
said Ira HARRIS to the executor or representatives of said Marshall =
DURRETT decd and which in all probability he the said Thos F. LEWIS is =
my son may have to pay If therefore in the event he the said Thos F. =
LEWIS should have to pay the same with additional interest as cash which =
hereafter may occur on said bond (it being in suit)as any past thereof =
he may have to pay - in that case the property which I have already =
willed to my grandchildren by my daughter Sarah M. HARRIS decd formerly =
the wife of Ira HARRIS and father of the children by my daughter Sarah =
M. HARRIS decd is to be held liable by my executors as so much of it as =
will be amply sufficient to pay to my son Thos F. LEWIS his heirs =
executors administrators and assignes and any amount which he may have =
to pay (if anything) is the ___ as distributers of Marshall DURRETT decd =
in consequence of his having become security for the said Ira HARRIS to =
the said DURRETT - To carry this my last will and testament into office =
I appoint my wife Mary LEWIS executrix and my sons Thos F. LEWIS & Jas =
H. LEWIS and my friend Jno L. THOMAS my executors. In testimony whereof =
I have to this my last set my hand and seal and subscribe my name this =
the 13th day of September one thousand eight hundred and forty four. H. =
LEWIS (seal)

Signed sealed published and ____ by the testator Howell LEWIS as & for =
his last will and testament in the presence of us who in his presence =
and at his request have hereunto signed our names as witnesses thereto: =
Dalney CAN, Jno D. CAN, Samuel D. CAN, J. L. THOMAS

In a court held for Albemarle County the 2 day of August 1845 This =
instrument of writing purporting to be the last will and testament of =
Howell LEWIS deceased was this day brought into court and proved by the =
oaths of D. CAN and Samuel D. CAN two of the subscribing witnesses =
thereunto was therefore ordered to be recorded and on the motion of =
Thomas F. LEWIS and James H. LEWIS two of the executors therein named =
who made oath and together with Gabriel L. HASPER, Benjamin WORD and =
William WOODS their securities entered into and acknowledged a bond in =
the penalty of sixteen thousand dollars conditioned as the law directs =
certificate is granted the said Thos F. LEWIS and James H. LEWIS for =
obtaining letters testamonting on this estate of the said Howell LEWIS =
deceased in due form

State of Virginia Albemarle County to wit, I Ira GARRETT clerk of the =
county court of Albemarle county in the State of Virginia do hereby =
certify that the foregoing will and order there under written are hereby =
copied from the record of said court as fully and wholly as the same now =
exists therein. I further certify that Thos F. LEWIS and James H. LEWIS =
above mentioned are still the acting executors of Howell LEWIS decd. In =
testimony whereof I have here unto set my hand and affixed the seal of =
said court this 26 day of December in the year of 1859. Ira GARRETT CC

State of Virginia Albemarle County to wit, I John J. BANCOCK the =
presiding Justice of the county court of Albemarle County in the State =
of Virginia do certify that Ira GARRETT is clerk of the said court duly =
elected and qualified and that his attestation is in due form.. Given =
under my hand this 26 day of December 1859. J. J. BANCOCK PJ

State of Virginia Albemarle County to wit, I Ira GARRETT clerk of the =
county court of Albemarle County in the State of Virginia do hereby =
certify that John J. BANCOCK who has signed the above certificate is the =
presiding Justice of said court duly commissioned and qualified and that =
his certificate is in due form. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set =
my hand and affixed the seal of said court this 26 day of December in =
the year 1859. Ira GARRETT CC

State of Kentucky Lyon County: I A H. DUDLEY Clerk of the county court =
___ the aforesaid do certify that at a county court begun and held for =
said county on Monday the 23 day of April 1860 the foregoing instrument =
of writing purporting to be an authenticated copy of the last will and =
testament of Howell LEWIS decd late of Albemarle County Virgina and the =
same is ordered to be recorded as a will of ___ estate Whereupon I have =
truly recorded the same with the certificate thereto with the =
certificate in my office Given under my hand this 30th day of April =
1860. A. H. DUDLEY, Clk

Jean Smallwood
E-Mail:
Home Page: http://www.netcom.com/~jeansmal/genhome.html

------=_NextPart_000_0071_01BD13C1.9FBCAC40

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New" size=3D2>
<P>In the name of God Amen. I <B>Howell LEWIS</B> of the County of =
Albemarle and=20
State of Virginia do hereby make this my last will and testament =
revoking all=20
other wills and testament heretofore made by me. Item 1<SUP>st</SUP> I =
wish all=20
my just debts paid off as soon as possible. Item 2<SUP>nd</SUP> I lend =
to my=20
beloved wife <B>Mary LEWIS</B> during her natural life all my estate =
both real=20
and personal. Item 3<SUP>rd</SUP> after the death of my beloved wife =
<B>Mary=20
LEWIS</B> as aforesaid all my estate both real and personal I wish and =
do hereby=20
will to be sold for cash so on a seasonable credit as my executors =
hereafter=20
named may think best and the proceeds thereof to be divided among the =
following=20
persons viz: <B>Mary H. HARRIS</B> wife of <B>Clifton HARRIS</B> (in =
trust) in=20
the hands of my two sons. <B>Thos. F. LEWIS</B> and <B>Jas H. LEWIS</B> =
and my=20
friend <B>Jno L.</B> <B>THOMAS</B> as to be taken possession by them and =
be used=20
and appropriated by them to the sole use and purpose of supporting my =
daughter=20
<B>Mary H.</B> <B>HARRIS</B> wife of <B>Clifton HARRIS</B> as aforesaid =
and her=20
children in any way and manner they in their judgement may think proper =
from=20
time to time for the comfort and support of my said daughter <B>Mary =
H</B>. and=20
her children aforesaid during the life of my said daughter and at her =
death to=20
be equally divided (if anything is left) among her children - =
<B>Thos</B> <B>F.=20
LEWIS</B> my son <B>Jas H. LEWIS</B> my son and also <B>Jane E. =
JONES</B> my=20
granddaughter who was <B>Jane</B> <B>E</B>. <B>TALIAFERRO</B> the =
daughter of my=20
daughter <B>Ann Caroline TALIAFERRO</B> who married <B>Fletcher =
TALIAFERRO</B>=20
(my daughter <B>Ann C.</B> having departed this life) dividing between =
them two=20
the said <B>Jane E. JONES</B> & <B>Charles L.</B> <B>TALIAFERRO</B> =
one=20
fifth of my estate. To my grandchildren by my daughter <B>Sarah M. =
HARRIS</B>=20
who is now dead and who married <B>Ira HARRIS</B> I give an equal part =
of my=20
estate being one fifth upon the following condition - Whereas I am =
informed that=20
a good many years since that my son <B>Thos F. LEWIS</B> became security =
for=20
<B>Ira HARRIS</B> father of the above children by <B>Sarah M.</B> my =
daughter in=20
a bond executed by the said <B>Ira HARRIS</B> to a certain <B>Marshall=20
DURRETT</B> who is now dead and there being a balance due and unpaid of =
that=20
bond between $900 & 100$ which my son <B>Thomas F. LEWIS</B> is =
bound with=20
the said <B>Ira HARRIS</B> to the executor or representatives of said=20
<B>Marshall DURRETT</B> decd and which in all probability he the said =
<B>Thos F.=20
LEWIS</B> is my son may have to pay If therefore in the event he the =
said=20
<B>Thos F. LEWIS</B> should have to pay the same with additional =
interest as=20
cash which hereafter may occur on said bond (it being in suit)as any =
past=20
thereof he may have to pay - in that case the property which I have =
already=20
willed to my grandchildren by my daughter <B>Sarah M. HARRIS</B> decd =
formerly=20
the wife of <B>Ira HARRIS</B> and father of the children by my daughter =
<B>Sarah=20
M. HARRIS</B> decd is to be held liable by my executors as so much of it =
as will=20
be amply sufficient to pay to my son <B>Thos F. LEWIS</B> his heirs =
executors=20
administrators and assignes and any amount which he may have to pay (if=20
anything) is the ___ as distributers of <B>Marshall DURRETT</B> decd in=20
consequence of his having become security for the said <B>Ira HARRIS</B> =
to the=20
said <B>DURRETT</B> - To carry this my last will and testament into =
office I=20
appoint my wife <B>Mary LEWIS</B> executrix and my sons <B>Thos F. =
LEWIS</B>=20
& <B>Jas H. LEWIS</B> and my friend <B>Jno L. THOMAS</B> my =
executors. In=20
testimony whereof I have to this my last set my hand and seal and =
subscribe my=20
name this the 13<SUP>th</SUP> day of September one thousand eight =
hundred and=20
forty four. <B>H. LEWIS</B> (seal)</P>
<P>Signed sealed published and ____ by the testator <B>Howell LEWIS</B> =
as &=20
for his last will and testament in the presence of us who in his =
presence and at=20
his request have hereunto signed our names as witnesses thereto: Dalney=20
<B>CAN</B>, Jno D. <B>CAN</B>, Samuel D. <B>CAN</B>, J. L. =
<B>THOMAS</P></B>
<P>In a court held for Albemarle County the 2 day of August 1845 This =
instrument=20
of writing purporting to be the last will and testament of <B>Howell =
LEWIS</B>=20
deceased was this day brought into court and proved by the oaths of =
<B>D.=20
CAN</B> and <B>Samuel D. CAN</B> two of the subscribing witnesses =
thereunto was=20
therefore ordered to be recorded and on the motion of <B>Thomas F. =
LEWIS</B> and=20
<B>James H. LEWIS</B> two of the executors therein named who made oath =
and=20
together with <B>Gabriel L. HASPER</B>, <B>Benjamin WORD</B> and =
<B>William=20
WOODS</B> their securities entered into and acknowledged a bond in the =
penalty=20
of sixteen thousand dollars conditioned as the law directs certificate =
is=20
granted the said <B>Thos F. LEWIS</B> and <B>James H. LEWIS</B> for =
obtaining=20
letters testamonting on this estate of the said <B>Howell LEWIS</B> =
deceased in=20
due form</P>
<P>State of Virginia Albemarle County to wit, I <B>Ira GARRETT</B> clerk =
of the=20
county court of Albemarle county in the State of Virginia do hereby =
certify that=20
the foregoing will and order there under written are hereby copied from =
the=20
record of said court as fully and wholly as the same now exists therein. =
I=20
further certify that <B>Thos F. LEWIS</B> and <B>James H. LEWIS</B> =
above=20
mentioned are still the acting executors of <B>Howell</B> <B>LEWIS</B> =
decd. In=20
testimony whereof I have here unto set my hand and affixed the seal of =
said=20
court this 26 day of December in the year of 1859. <B>Ira GARRETT</B> =
CC</P>
<P>State of Virginia Albemarle County to wit, I <B>John J. BANCOCK</B> =
the=20
presiding Justice of the county court of Albemarle County in the State =
of=20
Virginia do certify that <B>Ira GARRETT</B> is clerk of the said court =
duly=20
elected and qualified and that his attestation is in due form.. Given =
under my=20
hand this 26 day of December 1859. <B>J. J. BANCOCK</B> PJ</P>
<P>State of Virginia Albemarle County to wit, I <B>Ira GARRETT</B> clerk =
of the=20
county court of Albemarle County in the State of Virginia do hereby =
certify that=20
<B>John J. BANCOCK</B> who has signed the above certificate is the =
presiding=20
Justice of said court duly commissioned and qualified and that his =
certificate=20
is in due form. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and =
affixed the=20
seal of said court this 26 day of December in the year 1859. <B>Ira =
GARRETT</B>=20
CC</P>
<P>State of Kentucky Lyon County: I <B>A H. DUDLEY</B> Clerk of the =
county court=20
___ the aforesaid do certify that at a county court begun and held for =
said=20
county on Monday the 23 day of April 1860 the foregoing instrument of =
writing=20
purporting to be an authenticated copy of the last will and testament of =

<B>Howell LEWIS</B> decd late of Albemarle County Virgina and the same =
is=20
ordered to be recorded as a will of ___ estate Whereupon I have truly =
recorded=20
the same with the certificate thereto with the certificate in my office =
Given=20
under my hand this 30<SUP>th</SUP> day of April 1860. <B>A. H. =
DUDLEY</B>,=20
Clk</FONT></P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Jean Smallwood<BR>E-Mail:&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"mailto:"></A><BR>Home=
=20
Page:&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://www.netcom.com/~jeansmal/genhome.html">http://www.netcom.c=
om/~jeansmal/genhome.html</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0071_01BD13C1.9FBCAC40--

This thread: