LBL-L Archives

Archiver > LBL > 1997-12 > 0883505023

From: "Y Cameron" <>
Subject: Elusive Ancestor
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:03:43 -0600

My daughter gave this to me. It came over email from the Lee Co. Hist. &
Gen. Society, Jonesville, VA.

Elusive Ancestor by Merrell Kenworthy

I went searching for an ancestor. I cannot find him still. He moved
around from place to place and did not leave a will. He married where a
courthouse burned. He mended all his fences. He avoided any man who came
to take the U.S. Census.

He always kept his luggage packed, this man who had no fame. And every 20
yers or so, this rascal changed his name. His parents came from Europe.
They should be on some list of passengers to U.S.A., but somehow they got
missed.

And no one else in this world is searching for this man. So, I play
geneasolitaire to find him if I can. I'm told he's buried in a plot, with
tombstone he was blessed; but the weather took engraving, and some vandals
took the rest.

He died before the county clerks decided to keep records. No Family Bible
has emerged, in spite of all my efforts. To top it off this ancestor, who
caused me many groans, Just to give me one more pain, betrothed a girl
named JONES.

Haven't we all had one like that? Thought you might enjoy it.
Yvonne

This thread: