LDS-WARD-CONSULTANT-L Archives

Archiver > LDS-WARD-CONSULTANT > 2009-03 > 1238555364

From: "W. David Samuelsen" <>
Subject: Re: [LDS-WC] Poster
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:09:24 -0600

Beverly Odom wrote:
> Can someone send the actual quote, please?

There are 4 quotes on the back. First one is longest.

so here it is.

On April 3rd, 1976, President N. Eldon Tanner was conducting the
afternoon session of General Conference and said:

"President Kimball has asked me to read a very important resolution for
your sustaining vote. At a meeting of the Council of the First
Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve held in the Salt Lake Temple on
March 25, 1976, approval was given to add to the Pearl of Great Price
the following two relevations:

"First, a vision of the Celestial Kingdom given to Joseph Smith, the
Prophet, in the Kirtland Temple, on January 21, 1836, which deals with
the salvation of those who die without a knowledge of the Gospel."

"And second, a vision given to President Joseph F. Smith in Salt Lake
City, Utah, on October 3, 1918, showing the visit of the Lord Jesus
Christ in the Spirit World and setting forth the Doctrine of the
Redemption of the Dead."

"It is proposed that we sustain and approve this action and adopt these
revelations as part of the Standard Works of the Church ofJesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints."
(Conference Report April 1976, page 29)

2nd quote
The Prophet Joseph SAid, "We cannot be made perfect without them [our
dead ancestors], nor they without us." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph
Smith, p. 159; see also D&C 128:15.)

3rd quote
Elder Boyd K Packer said: "I was surprised , and I think all of the
Brethren were surprised, at how casually that announcement of two
additions to the Standard Works was received by the Church. When we
sense th esignificance of it, we will live to tell our grandchildren and
our great grandchildren and live to record in our diaries that we were
on the earth and remember when that took place."
(Address to Church Education System Faculty, Oct 14th, 1977)

4th quote
President Wilford Woodruff said: "Oh, I wish many times that the veil
were lifted off the face of the Latter-day Saints. I wish we could see
and know the things of God as they do who are laboring for the salvation
of the Human family who are in the spirit world; for if this were so,
this whole people, with very few, if any, exceptions, would lose all
interest in the riches of the word, and instead thereof their whole
desires and labors would be directed to redeem their dead."
(Discourses of Wilford Woodlruff, p. 153)

This thread: