LDS-WARD-CONSULTANT-L Archives

Archiver > LDS-WARD-CONSULTANT > 2012-08 > 1345992748

From: "Sebastian Buck" <>
Subject: [LDS-WC] Language settings for Famiy Tree
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 16:52:28 +0200

Hi,

I tried the new Family Tree at familysearch.org. I find it to be inferior to
nFS. But that's my personal opinion. Maybe I'll get used to it over time.

But there's a problem you might be able to help me with:

I'm of the Esslingen ward, Stuttgart Germany stake. As I first started doing
my genealogy on nFS a year ago, I quickly found out that it was best to not
use nFS in German but rather use the English interface. Besides a few
translation issues the help center is real nuisance if you use it in German.
Not all articles have been translated into German. And I often spend hours
to find a KB article only to find out later that it is only available in
English and can only be found if you switch the complete interface to
English before searching it. That's why I doing my genealogy completely in
English on nFS.

I have configured my church account accordingly and set the preferred
language to English. Everything works just fine - at least in nFS. While
trying Family Tree at FS I found out that it is behaving strangely. The
outer frame of the website (framed above by "Family Tree -- Learn --
FamilySearch Centers -- Indexing -- Blog") is in English. Also the links to
Settings, Help and the Sign Out button is in English. The inner frame,
consisting of the actual Family Tree, is in German. I haven't yet found A
way to switch it to English.

First I thought it might be that FS sees my German IP address and switches
back to German. So I tried an U.S. proxy, connected with an IP address from
Chicago (after having deleted all cookies) and still get the German inner
frame.

So I'm lost here. Language settings on lds.org and FS/nFS websites have
always been a constant nuisance. But it least I always found a way around
them and got what I was looking for. Not this time.

Here is a screenshot:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/152/42547868.jpg/

So if anybody has any ideas how to get Family Tree in English - please let
me know. Thanks

Sebastian Buck

This thread: