LEENET-L Archives

Archiver > LEENET > 2007-08 > 1186751348

From: Shelley Eccleston <>
Subject: [LEENET] Alice Felton and William LEE
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:09:08 -0400

Hello Hugh,
I read your email with great interest - than you so much for sharing it with
the list. I also had thought that the William you mentioned had married an
"Alice" Fenton. If this is correct then the information below would make
sense - otherwise I have the wrong fellow.
Did the person who provided the DNA mention his line back to the William Lee
whose DNA did not match that of Richard Lee (who married Ann Constable)?

After reading your email, I checked my old emails and found one with the
information regarding the land Alice Felton was left by her husband. I
thought I might add it here. If I understand it correctly - and I very
likely do not! - Alice and William sold the land left to her by her husband
(Thomas) to William Heath. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. (I
couldn't help but notice this is the same surname as the woman who
supposedly was the executrix and heir of William's will).
Best,
Shelley

Back in 2004 I had someone look up the Felton/Lea/Lee marriage that I saw
referenced in a book my father had:

Surry County Records (Surry County, Virginia 1652-1684) , by Eliza
Timberlake. Davis, Genealogical Publishing CO., Inc. Baltimore 1980; page 36

Surry Book I, 1652-1672, page 161
(NOTE: this page very beautifully decorated at left corner top, and down
left side in basketry, done with pen and ink, the script also very
beautiful - E.T.D.)

Indenture between Wm. Lea & his wife Alice, and Wm. Heath, planter, of
Southwarke Par., Surry Co., for a parcel of land, 150 acres, formerly Thos.
Felton's deceased... called Upper Chippoakes in the woods adj. the land
which was John Harrye's unto the plantation formerly Robert Moseley's adj. a
great swamp which divides Surry Co. and Charles Cittye County, which land
was given by sd Thos. Felton in last will & test. to his wife Alice who is
now the wife of sd William Lea. Memo. 150 acres lies in Charles Cittye
County, adjoining the rest of the divident, which lies in Surry County.
Wit: Robert Spencer, John Gittings

<snip> I have heard from Dennis Lee of Wimberley, TX regarding the DNA
results so
> far recorded. It appears that the William LEE who married Mary/Mrs. FENTON
> is NOT related
> to Colonel Richard LEE who married Ann Constable,
>
> Also there is reference to Virginia and Maryland Court Records involving
> the
> recovery of William's estate from a Mrs Mary Heath who had been named
> executrix and heir to William's estate as reported in "The Lee's of
> Virginia-Seven
> Generations of an American Family" by Paul C. Nagel. Oxford University
> Press.<snip>

This thread: