LEICESTERSHIRE-PLUS-L Archives

Archiver > LEICESTERSHIRE-PLUS > 2011-02 > 1297125598

From: "Charles Sidebottom" <>
Subject: Re: [LEI] Family Search website
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 18:39:58 -0600

Hi, All,
I am not complaining about Family Search because I have not used it in quite
awhile. I didn't even know that it had been changed! However, I do use
Ancestry quite a bit, and Find My Past and FreeBMD occasionally, I have
noticed that the searching functions don't seem to give very specific
results anymore--even if I try to be specific.

I have been enjoying the technique tips and work-arounds that some of the
list members are sharing--even though some of it doesn't make sense to me.

My question is: Do these data websites provide instructions for using these
sophisticated searching techniques? Or, are they keeping instructions to
themselves and letting people flounder around in thousands of returns? If
there are instructions for simple or advanced searching, I haven't found
them.

How are we supposed to know, for instance, in David's very clear reply to
Richard about the Ancestry search form, that you should choose the parish or
the county and not both? Where does it explain that? It never occurred to
me that if I knew the answer that went in a specific box on the form, maybe
I shouldn't use it! A lot of us are capable of reading and following
directions if they were only provided.

So before I start complaining to the offending websites that I use, and
possibly embarrass myself--can someone tell me if there are instructions
located somewhere that I am overlooking? Thanks.

Carolyn
in Minnesota, USA