LEICESTERSHIRE-PLUS-L Archives

Archiver > LEICESTERSHIRE-PLUS > 2011-02 > 1297152291

From: "Richard Kendell" <>
Subject: Re: [LEI] Family Search website
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:04:51 -0000

David
Thank you. I will try as you suggest.
Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: David Armstrong
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2011 11:16 PM

Richard

If you select the "England Warwickshire Parish Registers 1538-1900" database
first, and only complete the search form AFTER having done so, all you'll
get is returns for Warwickshire. You can then further narrow it down by
putting the parish name in the "place".

I should add that this Warwickshire database is incomplete as volunteers
around the world are still in the process of indexing the OPRs for the LDS.
It's possible that once the indexing has been completed that the images of
the original records will be added as it is from these digital images that
the volunteers are creating the index.

The old IGI database has been transferred to the new website. If you want
to specify a parish and search the old IGI database, then you can still use
the Hugh Wallis website
< http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/ >

to obtain the necessary batch numbers for your search.

It's important to learn how various databases work and what quirks they have
to get the most out of them. Quite a few, including non-genealogical
databases (eg Creditors in an Accounts payable system) will start listing
results from ONE PAST the one you want and so it can be useful to drop the
last letter in your search criteria.

On Ancestry, if you specify a parish AND a county when searching the English
census records, it will give priority to the county and ignore the parish.
So in this example, you need to only complete the parish box and leave the
county blank to get the results you want.

David Armstrong
Maylands,
Western Australia