LETSON-L Archives

Archiver > LETSON > 2003-03 > 1047712174

From: "Rick Jennings" <>
Subject: [[LETSON-L]] RE: [[LETSON-L]] Re: Fwd: [[LETSON-L]] Jonathon Letson
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:09:34 -0800

Dawn,
I think the chances of Robert being Jonathon's father are probably pretty
good. The census data shows Robert old enough to be Jonathon and George's
father, and all three lived in the same town. What are the odds of 3 lone
Letsons in 1 small town NOT being related?

To answer your question, according to the 1810 census, "J. Lutson" is found
in an "unknown township" in Oneida Co. But also found in Oneida County in
the 1810 census, in an "unnamed township" are: J. Letson, R. Letson, a
second J. Letson, J. Sweet and several Staffords (the Sweets, Staffords and
Letsons are all found in early Rhode Island censuses).

I'm sure you're right about why Jonathon doesn't appear in David's will. As
you point out, a Jonathon Letson died in the Civil War while serving with
the 117th Regiment, NY Infantry. According to Civil War records:
"117th Regiment, New York Infantry: Organized at Oneida and mustered in
August 8, 1862. Left State for Washington, D. C., August 22, 1862. Attached
to Defenses of Washington north of the Potomac, to October, 1862". This
citation later also mentions Folly Island.
Jonathon was certainly the only man by that name found in Oneida County
where the Regiment was formed.

I notice in your tree that you have David's sons listed as David Jr. b:
1816, Charles b: 1831 and Alfred b: 1833. Do you concur that we should now
add Jonathon b: 1826 and George b: 1817? (These last two names are from the
1860 census, and found living next door to David). And what about Linus,
whose name was found in David's will? (6 boys? Yikes. Must have been
something in the water).

No Letsons are found in a listing of headstones in the Old Westmoreland
Cemetery.

Best regards,
Rick Jennings