LEWELLEN-L Archives

Archiver > LEWELLEN > 2006-11 > 1163654724

From: "B GARBERS" <>
Subject: Re: [LEWELLEN] Samuel Lewellen of Monongalia Co., VA/WV
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:25:24 -0500

You have answered my question. My Raleys were Rileys most of the way.
Raley is supposed to be correct as people had learned more by the 1900s.
Thanks.

Betty G.

Dear Becky,

I would like to ask a question about the Raley Lewellen connection. Was the
name spelled Raley or Riley? Everything that I found in early censuses used
the name Riley but my family have always spelled the name Raley. The rest
of this family that moved to Linn Co, KS, is still listed as Rile in the
censuses there. Did you pick this info from a census. I have not found them
in NC, OH or IN before Clay Co, IL.

Betty G.

Yes, you are right, they are part of the Lewellen family described in
the Reverend's booklet. I responded to a posting you had several months
ago and provided information on Josephus Lewellen, son of Philip and
Mary Ann (Osborn) Lewellen, and his wife Mary Jane Truitt and their
offspring, including Emma Florence who married William Thomas Raley.
Trust this information was helpful to you and that you are making
progress in your research.