LEWTER-L Archives

Archiver > LEWTER > 2002-01 > 1010341429

From: "John" <>
Subject: Will of Elias Lewter
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:28:49 -0500

In the name of God Amen, I Elias Lewter of Northampton
County and state of North Carolina being weak in my Body
but in my perfect sound sence and Memory, knowingthat it
is appointed for all men once to die, do make and ordain this
my last Will & Testament; And first I commend my soul into
the hands of Almighty God who gave it, then my body to the
Dust to be Buried in a Christian likemannor at the
discretion of my Executors and for my Worldly Estate
which the Lord hath Blessed me with, I give and dispose of
in the following manner and form Viz; I Lend unto my
beloved wife Sally Lewter all my Lands and Plantations
which I pocess during her natural Life or Widowhood to
raise and maintain my children & further my Will and
desire is that all my Negroes and also my other Estate
be kept together untill my Son Kinchen Lewter arrives to
the Age of 21 Years or marys after the expiration os which
time, my Will and Desire is that my Lands may be equally
divided between Kinchen Lewter and Henry Lewter my two
Sons.

I lend unto my beloved Wife Sally Lewter during her natural
Life four Negroes Named as follows, Nell, Hannah, Amy &
Didum, and then after her Decease to be equally divided
between all my Children, namely, Kinchen Lewter, Jincy
Lewter, Dorothy Lewter, Nancy Lewter, Rebecca Lewter &
Henry Lewter

My Will and Desire is further that after my Son Kinchen
Lewter arrives to the Age of 21 Years that all my Negroes and the ( ? ) and likewise my other Estate not above named be and is equally divided between all my children above mentioned.

Now my will and intent for my Negroes and property as is
above mentioned to be kept on my lands untill my son
Kinchen Lewter arrives to the age above mentioned, or
marrys is that my family be kept together and maintained on
the same and if there should not be a sufficent sum of
money to settle my just debts, I desire that one of my
Horses be sold to settle the same, and I do hereby
constitute and appoint Giles Lewter Exum Hollaman and
John Wood, as my whole & Soul Executors to this my last
Will and Testament and hereby disallow Revoke, and
disannul all and every other forms, Wills, Legacies and
Bequests, Ratifying and Confirming this to be my last Will &
Testament, In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my Hand
and fixed my Seal this 8th day of October 1809

Signed: Elias Lewter (With Seal)

Signed, Sealed and Acknowledged in the presence of us ---
James Mung___?
William Doughtery
Jesse Smith

Northampton County December Court 1809 This Will was
proved by James Doughtery at the same time Giles Lewter
qualified Executor thereof. Ordered to be certified and
recorded.
Test (Judges name ?)

This thread: