LEWTER-L Archives

Archiver > LEWTER > 2002-05 > 1021294671

From: "Al & Syble Embrey" <>
Subject: Re: [LEWTER] Jane Lewter
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:16:05 -0500

I have been following the thread on Kinchen Lewter and Jane Marden Faison
with much interest because their daughter, Jane Lewter, who married
Alexander Mitchell Burford is my great grandmother. I descend through their
daughter, Rebecca Ann Burford Key Moore.

I have a copy of Jane's obituary taken from the Gospel Advocate and
submitted for publication by W N McCain. The obit may answer questions about
her that was not available in court records. I wanted to share this
information with the list. It is my hope this will help those who are
researching this line

The Gospel Advocate, 1879
It is my painful duty to announce the death of our beloved sister Jane
Burford. She departed this life on Monday the 21st of July 1879. She leaves
6 sons and 5 daughters and an aged companion and many friends to mourn her
loss. Her sickness was cancer of the mouth. She was born in North Carolina,
North Hampton County, on the 11th of October 1816, moved to Tenn., in 1830;
was married to A. M. Burford in 1833; joined the church of Christ in 1841
and lived a consistent member of that body up to the time of her death. I
became acquainted with sister Burford the 15th of March 1858 and have been
very intimate with the family as neighbor and physician and always found her
kind and affctionate. But we should not grieve after her as one that had no
hope. She remarked to brother Burford before she died that she had no fears
and she bore her afflictions, though they lasted twelve months, with all the
patience that could be expected of any one. Brother Burford, hold out a few
more days, or years at most and you will be united with sister Burford in
the better land where there will be no more parting and shedding of tears.
But all will be peace and joy; may all her children imitate her Christian
example.
W. N. McCain.
Cold Water, Depot, Miss.

Regards,