LEWTER-L Archives

Archiver > LEWTER > 2004-03 > 1080391171

From: "John" <>
Subject: [LEWTER] Elias Lewter
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 07:39:31 -0500

16. Elias Lewter, born Abt. 1768; died Abt. 1809 in Northampton County, NC. He was the son of 32. Hardy Luter and 33. Rebecca Bunn. He married 17. Sarah (Sallie) Wood in Northampton County, NC.

17. Sarah (Sallie) Wood, born Abt. 1780 in Va.; died Abt. 1860 in Elkton, Giles County, Tn.. She was the daughter of 34. John Wood.

Notes for Elias Lewter:

"Deeds in the county reveal Willie Lewter purchased on 25 Aug. 1824 (DBK 22 P

235 Nrthmp NC) from Henry K. Lewter, land which was described as being

Henry's part of his father's estate. Henry's father, Elias Lewter in his

Will recorded 1809 (WBK 3 P 20 Nrthmp NC) "loaned" his entire estate to his

wife, Sally Lewter during her lifetime with the stipulation that the land be

divided between his sons, Kinchen and Henry K. Lewter when they became of

age. Sally Lewter (widow of Elias) later moved to Alabama and in 1841 gave a

power of attorney relinquishing her right to land in Northampton County, NC

to Willie Lewter's widow, Mary, who had by this time remarried Absolom Hayes

(DBK 29 P 299 Nrthmp Co NC)."

In the name of God Amen, I Elias Lewter of Northampton

County and state of North Carolina being weak in my Body

but in my perfect sound sence and Memory, knowing that it

is appointed for all men once to die, do make and ordain this

my last Will & Testament; And first I commend my soul into

the hands of Almighty God who gave it, then my body to the

Dust to be Buried in a Christian like mannor at the

discretion of my Executors and for my Worldly Estate

which the Lord hath Blessed me with, I give and dispose of

in the following manner and form Viz; I Lend unto my

beloved wife Sally Lewter all my Lands and Plantations

which I pocess during her natural Life or Widowhood to

raise and maintain my children & further my Will and

desire is that all my Negroes and also my other Estate

be kept together untill my Son Kinchen Lewter arrives to

the Age of 21 Years or marys after the expiration at which

time, my Will and Desire is that my Lands may be equally

divided between Kinchen Lewter and Henry Lewter my two

Sons.

I lend unto my beloved Wife Sally Lewter during her natural

Life four Negroes Named as follows, Nell, Hannah, Amy &

Didum, and then after her Decease to be equally divided

between all my Children, namely, Kinchen Lewter, Jincy

Lewter, Dorothy Lewter, Nancy Lewter, Rebecca Lewter &

Henry Lewter

My Will and Desire is further that after my Son Kinchen

Lewter arrives to the Age of 21 Years that all my Negroes

and the ( ? ) and likewise my other Estate not above named

be and is equally divided between all my children above

mentioned.

Now my will and intent for my Negroes and property as is

above mentioned to be kept on my lands untill my son

Kinchen Lewter arrives to the age above mentioned, or

marrys is that my family be kept together and maintained on

the same and if there should not be a sufficent sum of

money to settle my just debts, I desire that one of my

Horses be sold to settle the same, and I do hereby

constitute and appoint Giles Lewter Exum Hollaman and

John Wood, as my whole & Soul Executors to this my last

Will and Testament and hereby disallow Revoke, and

disannul all and every other forms, Wills, Legacies and

Bequests, Ratifying and Confirming this to be my last Will &

Testament, In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my Hand

and fixed my Seal this 8th day of October 1809

Signed: Elias Lewter (With Seal)

Signed, Sealed and Acknowledged in the presence of us ---

James Mung___?

William Doughtery

Jesse Smith

Northampton County December Court 1809 This Will was

proved by James Doughtery at the same time Giles Lewter

qualified Executor thereof. Ordered to be certified and

recorded.

Test (Judges name ?)

1) So, we know that Elias died sometime between Oct. and

Dec. 1809.

2) A full listing of his children

1810 Census of Northampton County, NC,

Sarah Lewter with:

3 male under 10 yrs.;

1 male 10 - 16 yrs.;

1 male 26 - 45 yrs;

4 females under 10 yrs.;

2 females 10 - 16 yrs.;

1 female 16 - 26 yrs;

1 female 26 - 46 yrs.

1820 Census: Sally Luter

1 male 16 - 18 yrs.;

1 male 18 - 25 yrs.;

1 female 16 - 25 yrs.

1 female 45+

Notes for Sarah (Sallie) Wood:

1. Sarah's death date is based on the settlement of her estate that occured in June of 1860 in Giles County, Tn.

2. One source states that Sarah moved with her family to tn. in 1830.

More About Elias Lewter and Sarah Wood:

Marriage: Northampton County, NC

Children of Elias Lewter and Sarah Wood are:

i. Nancy Lewter, born Abt. 1792; married William Deloach 06 July 1816; born Abt. 1780 in Northampton County, NC.

More About William Deloach and Nancy Lewter:

Marriage: 06 July 1816

ii. Kinchen Lewter, born Abt. 1797 in Northampton County, NC; died 15 September 1868 in At his resisdence, Elkton, Giles County, Tenn; married Jane (Jinsey) Marden Faison 12 August 1814 in Northampton County, NC; born Abt. 1798 in NC; died Bef. 1876 in Elkton, Giles County, Tn..

Notes for Kinchen Lewter:

One source says that Kinchen moved his family to Tn. in 1830.

Copies of Letters to Postmaster, Williams Mills, NC in answer to advertisements for settlement of Henry Lewter Estate in Chatham County, NC

Arkadelphia, Ark. Clark County

May 19, 1886

Postmast

Williams Mills, NC

Dear Sir,

I noticed an advertisement in a news paper stating that the heirs of Kinchen and Joseph Lewter could hear something to their interest by addressing you. I take this method of introducing myself to you as a son of Kinchen Lewter who left that country some 50 years ago...now living in Arkadelphia, Calrk County, Arkansas. Hoping to hear from you soon. Yours

M.C. Lewter

I will further say that our father has bin dead for years, myself and one brother is all of Kinchen Lewter family that is now living.

Mathias Lewter

Write to me as soon as you get this letter and let me know what you want and oblige yours.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arkadelphia, Ark. Clark County

H.D. Mason, P.M.

Williams Mill, NC

Dear Sir,

Your letter of May 28 has just reached me and contents noted. I now proceed to give you what I can remember of my NC kindred from merory entirely.

My fathers name was Kinchen Lewter. I had an uncle henry K. Lewter who moved to Tenn. about the year 1826-27. (I was with my father - a boy about 10 years old and may not give exact date). My grandmother Lewter moved with my father and uncle to Tennessee. I always called her Grand Ma. But I think the negroes called her Miss Sallie. She died about 18 years ago. We have the family Bible.

My mother's name was Jinsey or Josey Marden Fason or Faison. She died in Giles County, Elkton, Tenn. (My father and Grandmother died there also since the late war between the States and are known to all the old settlers.

My father and mother raised 8 children, seven still living, 2 in Ark. The balance in Tennessee about Elkton and Columbia.

My Uncle Henry K. Lewter is dead. Lived on the line of Alabama and Tenn., near Elkton. He left five children, grown, married and scattered about.

I cannot now recall any of the Lewters in NC except Wiley Lewter who kept tavern at the forks of the road (name of place not remembered).

My mother's brothers were Dick and Jim Faison or Fason. I also remeber Jim Woods who, I think, was a brother of my grandmother.

I am now 68 years old and the matters that I have been attempting to recall happened about fifty eight years ago, and I may not be very accurate, but as I understand your letter you simply want to identify the heirs of Kinchen Lewter.

Now in conclusion I can show by the Govenor of the State, Simon F. Hughs, or my representative in Congress Hon. C. McRae or by my US Senator John James K. Jones - and by my attorney H.W.M. Millan who is a native of NC, Robeson County and educated at Chapel Hill, graduated there in 1855, who and what I am now. Please write me fully about what there is in this matter.

Yours

(signed) M T. Lewter

Elkton, Tenn.

Mr. H.D. Mason, P.M.

Williams Mill, Chatham Co., NC

Sir,

Yours received and contents noted. I am inclined to believe that we are the ones alluded too. As none of the old people from NC hever heard of anyone but my father named Kinchen. And for boys to be born after father left and named Kinchen anf grew up to 18 or 20 years old they could not have gone from NC 40 or 50 y. I don't want to claim anything unless it is just. Below i give you some of the posterity so you may not mind answering these questions.

1st. What amt is pending. 2nd. is it by wil or comon heirship. 3rd Who is the maker of the will or whose estate is it. 4th How long has will been made and has your Kinchen Lewter and Sisters or sisters heirs in NC.....have you heard of any other Kinchen get who moved west 50 y ago.

M.G. Lewter of Arkadelphia, Ark. is my only bro. living. I don't know what he has written you..But I will say that Kinchen and his bro Henry & their mother Sarah came from North hampton Co., NC near Jackson....Hardy Lewter married Jacob Bunn daughter and begat Elias Lewter who married Sarah Wood who is father and mother of Kinchen and Henry Lewter. I think there must be a mistake in the name of Joseph instead of Henry. Hardy Lewter lived near Raleigh, and I suppose has other sons beside Elias. Now you can answer all my questions and tell me what the valuable news is that the papers speak of. I would like to know the particulars whether you think I am interested or not....you have the Bunn, Woods & Lewter family as a connection of mine and my mother was a Faison. Write soon and give me the particulars.

Yours Resply

(signed) James M. Lewter

1840 Census Giles County, Tn.

Lewter, Kinchen 201.000.1 211.100.1 143

1850 Census, Giles County, Tn.

Kinchen Lewter 54 M Farmer 2000 NC

Jincey 52 F NC

Rebecca 19 F NC

William 14 M Tn

James 11 M Tn

Kinchen 10 M Tn

1860 Census Giles County, Tn.

Kinchen Lewter 63 M Farmer 2000 15705 NC

Jane 62 F NC

J.M. Lewter, et al vs Sarah Lewter Filed 13 April 1876

State of Tennessee

Giles County J. Noble Sweetson (?)

Attorney and agent for complaintants in the forgoing bill do solumnly swear that the statements therein made including the statements of the ages and residences of defendants are true to the best of my knowledge in formation and belief.

Sworn to and subscribed before me April 13, 1876 N. Smithson

Jno T. Ron D.C.

To The County Court of Giles County, Tennessee

James M. Lewter, Mathias T. Lewter, J.C. Scott and wife Sarah Scott, Wiley P. Lewter, J.J. Broadway and wife Celestia Broadway and Robt. Coffman, citizens of Giles County; Alexander Bunford (Burford) and his wife Jane Burford, citizens of Mississippi.

Complaintants

vs

Sarah M. Lewter, guradian of Mary M. Lewter, Susan Lewter, Silas R. Boswell, Alphonso Boswell, Margaret Lewter, William Lewter, Eva Lilian Lewter, Fannie Lewter, Jesse T. Lewter, Thomas Newman, and his wife Alice Newman, citizens of Giles County; Zeus M. Grubbs (?) guardian of Edward Lewter, citizen of Lincoln County; Edward Lewter citizen of Ala.; Thomas Williamson and his wife Mary Williamson, citizens of Mississippi; William McNeeley and wife Mary McNeeley, Bess F. Freeman and his wife Euirly Freeman, John W. Williamson and his wife Celestia Williamson and James J. McWilliams, citizens of Texas.

Defendants

Complaintants respectfully show unto your Honor that Kinchen Lewter Sr. formley of Giles County, died at his residence in said county in September, 1868, interstate, leaving his widow Jane Lewter and his four children to wit: Complaintants James M. Lewter, Mathias T. Lewter, and Jane Burford, wife of Alexander Burford,a nd Kinchen D. Lewter, who died since the death of said Kinchen Lewter, Sr. and the children of his five deceased children to wit: Henry Lewter, Rebecca Scott, Mary Coffman, William Lewter, and Lucretia McWilliams, his only heirs.

His son Henry Lewter died before he did leaving complaintants Sarah Scott, Wiley P. Lewter, and Celestia Broadway and defendants Mary Lewter and Susan Lewter his only children and representatives. Said Mary and Susan Lewter are minors and defendant Sarah A. Lewter is their regular guardian.

His daughter Rebecca Scott also died before he did leaving her daughtert Annie who afterwards married defendant Silas B. Boswell by whom she had defendant Alphonso Boswell and died. Said Alphonso Boswell is a minor and has no regular guardian. Said Rebecca Scott also left two other daughters surviving her as her only children and representatives, to wit: defendants Mary McNeeley and Alice Newman.

His daughter Mary Coffman died before he did leaving as her only child and representative Robert Coffman.

His son William Lewter also died before his death leaving as his only child and representive defendant Edward Lewter who is a minor and defendant Zerroh Crubbs is his regular guardian.

Lucretia McWilliams another daughter died before he did leaving defendants Emily Freeman, Mary Williamson, Celestia Williamson, and James J. McWilliams and Walter McWilliams, her only children and representatives; and the said Walter McWilliams died interstate and without issue since the death of said Kinchen Lewter, Sr.

Kinchen D. Lewter, son of Kinchen Lewter Sr. died since the death of his father interstate leaving defendants Margaret Lewter his widow and defendants William Lewter, Eva Lilian Lewter, Fannie Lewter and Jesse T. Lewter his only children and heirs, his said children to wit, the last named four are minors and have no regular guardian.

Said Kinchen Lewter Sr. died ____?____ and possessed of a tract of about 400 acres of land lying in the 1st Civil District of Giles County. All of said land have been sold under the orders of the Chancery Court of Giles County in the cause of James M. Lewter against Margaret Lewter except about 124 to 130 acres thereof allotted to said Jane Lewter as widow of said Kinchen Lewter, Sr. as her dower and wearly all the proceeds thereof distributed among the heirs.

Said Jane Lewter is now dead and said tract has never been partitioned or sold and all the parties above named have and hold the same as tenants in common as heirs of said Kinchen Lewter.

Said dower tract is described as follows:

"Beginning at a large sassafras corner of the orginal survey and running thence N. with the same to a corner a large hickory now dead 41 poles; thence W. passing orginal corner at 22 poles, in all 41 poles to a small ash; thence S 195 poles to a stake with black gum, black oak, and sour-wood pointer; thence E. 84 poles to a stake in old field; thence N. 59 deg. E 70 poles to a small black oak in the EB of orginal survey; thence with the same north 8 deg. W. to corner stake 22 poles; thence with the same north 40 deg. W to a corner a stake 28 poles. Thence with same N 18 deg. W 28 poles; thence with same N 14 poles to a stake at Beaty Fence; thence N 45 deg. W 30 poles to a stake in the NB of orginal survey; thence W with same 57 poles to the beginning lying inCivil Dist #1 of Giles County on the South side of Elk River !
and on the head water of Piney Creek.

Said dower was assigned her by degree of this court entered July 5, 1869 on Minute Book No. 2.179 to which reference is here made.

There is only one settlement on said dower tract and no other settlements could be advantagesouslymade thereon. Abnout two0thirds of said dower tract are cleared, and there is but little timber on it except firewood.

Considering the No. of shares in said land and the fact that no other settlements can be made on said land it cannot be partitioned among those interested thereon. It would be manifestly for the advantage of the parties to sell said dower tract and divide the proceeds among them instead of partitioning the same. Complaintants are more than 21 years of age and are entittled to have their shares in said dower tract as heirs of Kinchen Lewter set off to them in severalty or sold for division.

Complaintants submitt to the Court whether defendant Silas R. Boswell is entittled to his life estate in the shares of his deceased wife Ann E. Boswell as tenant by the curtesy and also whether defendant Margaret Lewter is entitled to dower in the shares of Kinchen D. Lewter, deceased.

Said dower tract is not very valuable land and is not likely to increase in value for a long time to come if ever. Besides land in it's condition usually decreases in value for want of repairing, etc.

A small portion of said dower was found to belong to one of the adjoining propreitors upon a resurvey; that is to say that there was a slight change in one of the lines cutting off 4 or 5 acres of the dower.

Complaintants have an estate of inheritance in said dower tract and are holding and in possesion thereof as tenants in common among themselves and with defendants by decent from said Kincehn Lewter, dec'd.

Promices considered compaintants pray that the persons above named as defendants be made parties defendants Spa. and publication and that they be required to appear and answer this bill (but an answer under oath is expressly waivered) and that guardian as liteum be appointed and that said land be sold and the proceeds divided and the rights of all paries settled by degree of this court.

And for all other finances and proper relief.

(Signature too hard to read)

NASHVILLE CHRISTIAN ADVOCATE, V. 29, #34. August 21, 1869

KINCHEN LEWTER b Northampton Co., N.C., Dec. 12, 1796; d Oct. 15, 1868;

moved to Giles Co., Tenn., 1830; professed religion at Smyrna, 1831

More About Kinchen Lewter:

Census: 1850, Giles County, Tenn.

Marrriages: 12 August 1814, Marriage license issued

More About Kinchen Lewter and Jane Faison:

Marriage: 12 August 1814, Northampton County, NC

iii. Dorothy Lewter, born 1800 in NC; died Aft. 1870 in Limestone County, Al; married Henry Holt 21 October 1815 in Northampton County, NC; born 11 June 1792 in Orange County, NC; died November 1867 in Limestone County, Al..

This thread: