LILES-L Archives

Archiver > LILES > 1999-03 > 0921357325

From: <>
Subject: [LILES-L] Samuel Lyle, Jefferson Co, TN (1747 - 1834) Rev. War
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:35:25 EST

My earliest Tennessee Liles' was James Liles, born 1803 in NC. I know he was
in TN by 1830 when he was on the Roane County Census. I am trying to account
for all the Liles Families that were on the 1830 TN Census in hopes that they
will lead me to James' ancestors.

I visited the library yesterday after work and came up with the following on
Samuel Lyle/Liles who was a Revolutionary War oldier. I welcome any comments,
corrections, etc. The information is based on Census, Land, Cemetery, and
Will records. I don't see the relation with my line yet, but found it
interesting that the orphan children of Samuel R. and Mirum Lyle were living
with Samuel Alexander's family in Roane County in 1860 next door to the
father-in-law of one of James' daughters.

Hopefully this information will be useful for someone and if anyone can add to
it I would appreciate the help.

Sandy

Descendants of Samuel Liles

Generation No. 1

1. SAMUEL1 LILES was born May 27, 1747, and died August 09, 1834 in Jefferson
Co, TN. He married MARGERY.

Notes for SAMUEL LILES:
Jefferson Co. Tennessee Will Book 4 & Sale Book 1833-1840
Page 314
Samuel Lyle's Will
I, Samuel Lyle give to my wife, Margery Lyle, the plantation I now live on and
my personal property. I give my daughter, Fanny Lyle, three hundred dollars. I
give to my daughter, Jenny, who intermarried with John Hull, ten dollars, she
having been provided for. I give my son, Daniel Lyle, three dollars, he
having been provided for. I give my daughter who intermarried

page 315
with John M. Patton, three dollars. I give my daughter, Isabella Henderson,
who intermarried with John Bettis, the sum of three dolalrs. I give my son
Samuel R. Lyle, the plantation I now live on. I give to my son Samuel all my
personal property all subject to the support of my wife as before stated. I
make my son Samuel R. Lyle, executor of my Will. 3rd of Aug. 1832. Witnesses:
James P. Balch, Joseph Hamilton Jr. Signed, sealed, published, pronounced by
Samuel Lyle to be his last will. Sept. 1834. Will of Samuel Lyle Sr. dec'd was
presented in court for probate. Samuel R. Lyle the Executor qualified.

Page 426
Settlement of the Estate of Samuel R. Lyle Dec'd
June 9, 1835. The court in session, settle with Samuel R. Lyle, executor of
the estate of Samuel Lyle dec'd as follows: Fanny Lyle rect. in full for her
part of the estate. 3rd of Feb. 1835. Paid John Hull, that which was bequeated
to Jenny Hull, in full. 9th of May 1835. Paid Daniel Lyle his part of the
estate. 13th of Feb 1835. Paid Wm. Mathis, quardian of Grezzy Patton, 7th of
May 1835. Paid John Bettis in full of the legacy left his wife, Isabella. 20th
of Feb. 1835.

SAMUEL LYLE (1747-1834)
1830 TN Census: Lyle, Samuel (Je-328)

Revolutionary Cemetery (Old Hopewell) in Jefferson County. (Located one block
east of the Jefferson County Courthouse in Dandridge.

Monument: Erected by Martha Dandridge Garden Club in memory of Revolutionary
Soldiers buried here.
John Blackburn 1741-1808
Abednego Inman 1752-1831
Samuel Lyle 1747-1834
Richard Rankin 1756-1827
Samuel Rankin 1738-1828
Burial Ground at the site of the original Hopewell Presbyterian Church, first
church in Jefferson County, 1785.

Samuel Lyle married Margaret Headly on February 8, 1797 in Jefferson Co, TN.
(Could this be Samuel's second wife? Daniel was born about 1791 prior to this
marriage and Samuel was born 1806 after this marriage.)

More About SAMUEL LILES:
Burial: Hopewell Cemetery, Jefferson Co, TN

Children of SAMUEL LILES and MARGERY are:
2.i.BETSY2 LILES.
ii.FANNY LILES.
iii.ISABELLA LILES, m. JOHN BETTIS, June 04, 1823, Jefferson Co, TN.
iv.JENNY LILES, m. JOHN HULL.
v.DANIEL LILES, b. Abt. 1791; d. May 13, 1856, Jefferson Co, TN; m. (1) MARY
MARGARET MCGUIRE, July 26, 1810; m. (2) LUCINDA UNKNOWN, Aft. 1830.

Notes for DANIEL LILES:
Grant No. 1025 - Charles Gentry, 2-Nov-1792, 6-Dec-1791, 400 acres, 10 Pounds
for every 100 acres. Out County of Green on the north side of French Broad
River adj. DAVID LYLE, mount of LISLE'S Branch, Benjamin McFarling, Hugh
Kelso, John Cooin. State of North Carolina at Newburn. James Glasgow,
Secretary /s/Alexander Martin

1840 TN Census: Liles, Daniel (0000101-000221) (Je-306)

1850 TN Census: Lyle, Daniel 59, Lucinda, Thomas VANCE 26, Deliah HAYS 22,
Susan R. MATHAS 10, TN TN (Je-22-659)

1860 TN Census: Lyle, Lucinda 56, N. A. DAVENPORT 60f (Je-43-350)

More About DANIEL LILES:
Burial: Ebenezer Methodist Church, Jefferson Co, TN
Occupation: Reverand of Ebenezer Methodist Church
Fact 3: September 21, 1814, Daniel Lyle wit Jacob Formwalt (Knoxville Co) Deed
to Michael McGuire

More About MARY MARGARET MCGUIRE:
Burial: Ebenezer Methodist Church, Jefferson Co, TN

More About LUCINDA UNKNOWN:
Burial: Ebenezer Methodist Church, Jefferson Co, TN

3.vi.SAMUEL R. LILES, b. January 28, 1806; d. August 02, 1848, Jefferson Co,
TN.

Generation No. 2

2. BETSY2 LILES (SAMUEL1). She married JOHN M. PATTON.

Child of BETSY LILES and JOHN PATTON is:
i.GREZZY3 PATTON.

3. SAMUEL R.2 LILES (SAMUEL1) was born January 28, 1806, and died August 02,
1848 in Jefferson Co, TN. He married MIRUM UNKNOWN.

Notes for SAMUEL R. LILES:
1840 TN Census: Lyles, Samuel R. (300001-00000010001)

1850 TN Census: Lyle, Mirum 39, John D. 12, William H. 11, Saml. A. 10,
Amanda E. 8, James N. 6, Sarah L. 4, Aerdney 2, TN TN (Je-565-735)

1860 TN Census: Lyle, Amanda 17, Samuel 20 (Je-40-348)
1860 TN Census: Lyle, James K. 16, Sarah L. 14, Ariadna J. 12 (Ro-74-138)

Change of Guardianship of John D., James L., Sarah L. and A. J. Lyle, minor
orphans, to Samuel Alexander of Roane County from Daniel Lyles of Jeffeson
Co,TN - May 1852

Excerpt from letter in surname file at Kingston Library:
.....immediately next door (to Clemons Burns/Bunn) are James N. Lyle (age 16),
Arriadna J. Lyle (age 12), and Sarah L. Lyle (age 14) are found living living
with Sam'l Alexander (age 72 b. NC) and wife Elizabeth (age 69 b. KY) and
Luisa E. (age 31, b. TN). Then next door was Uriah Burns/Bunn ..... All of
these folks live with a Lenoirs Post Office - modern day Lenoir City......

(NOTE: James Liles (MY LINE) (b. 1803 in NC m. (1) Mary Kimbrell, (2) Eliza
Huffman) had a daughter, Louisa Clementine, that married David Kather Bunn
(son of Clemons Bunn). Addison Liles (b. 1808 in TN) married Easter Alexander
in Roane County in 1833. I have always heard there was a close connection
between the Roane County Liles' and the Jefferson County Liles'.)

More About SAMUEL R. LILES:
Burial: Hopewell Cemetery, Jefferson Co, TN

More About MIRUM UNKNOWN:
Burial: Hopewell Cemetery, Jefferson Co, TN

Children of SAMUEL LILES and MIRUM UNKNOWN are:
i.JOHN D.3 LILES, b. Abt. 1837.
ii.WILLIAM H.LILES, b. October 02, 1838, Jefferson Co, TN; d. August 11,
1905, Jefferson Co, TN; m. (1) HARRIET L. MATHES; m. (2) SARAH PORTER MATHES,
June 20, 1864, Jefferson Co, TN.

More About WILLIAM H.LILES:
Burial: Hopewell Cemetery, Jefferson Co, TN

More About HARRIET L. MATHES:
Burial: Hopewell Cemetery, Jefferson Co, TN

More About SARAH PORTER MATHES:
Burial: Hopewell Cemetery, Jefferson Co, TN

iii.SAMUEL A. LILES, b. May 29, 1840, Jefferson Co, TN; d. July 02, 1862,
Jefferson Co, TN.

More About SAMUEL A. LILES:
Burial: Hopewell Cemetery, Jefferson Co, TN

iv.AMANDA E. LILES, b. January 12, 1842, Jefferson Co, TN; d. January 17,
1872, Jefferson Co, TN.

More About AMANDA E. LILES:
Burial: Hopewell Cemetery, Jefferson Co, TN

v.JAMES N. LILES.
vi.SARAH L. LILES.
vii.AERDNEY LILES, b. Abt. 1848, Jefferson Co, TN.

This thread: