LILES-L Archives

Archiver > LILES > 1999-05 > 0927377078

From: <>
Subject: [LILES-L] David Liles, Roane County, TN - Rev War
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 08:44:38 EDT

The following is a very crude first attemp at translating the Brief in the
case of David Liles of Roane County. I am very unsure about the names and
places but maybe they make sense to someone out there and you can help me
with corrections.

Some very interesting things jumped out at me and that is why I am posting
the brief in its current state. He was believed to be 82 years old in 1832
which would make him born about 1750. He stated he enlisted with his father
(I believe it says father, the f looks like a 'b' but there is no 'r' next)
Daniel Jackson. He was born in Virginia. He was in the Battle of Eutaw
Springs.

If you refer back to my post "Daniel Lyle, Immigrant", Daniel and Miss Paxton
had five sons: James, David, Robert, John, and Samuel. Samuel fought in the
battle of Eutaw Springs. Could David Liles of Roane County be the Son of
Daniel and a brother of Samuel Liles of Jefferson County, TN?

As long as I am speculating, I wonder of John Liles (1736-184) who married
Nancy Soward is a brother of Daniel. Daniel married about 1750 and "IF" he
was about 20 when he married he would have been born about 1730. John's
pension letter did not show the date or place of his birth but he was 82
years old in 1818 which would make him born in 1736.

I have always been told that there was a close connection to the Liles of
Jefferson County and Roane County.

Sandy

This is only a draft, I am going back over the letter with a magnifying glass
and a strong cup of coffee but maybe some of you can give me hints on some of
the name and places.
11-261
BRIEF in the case of David Liles
County of Roane in the State of Tennessee
(Act 7th June, 1832)

1. Was the declaration made before a Court or a Judge? Court
2. If before a Judge, does it appear that the applicant is disabled by
bodily infirmity?

3. How old is he? 82

4. State his service, as directed in the form annexed..
PeriodDuration of ServiceRankNames
of General and Field Officers under whom he served

Enlisted3 yearsPrivateCapt. David
Jackson, 10th Regiment
Col.
S_______ Genl. Greene, _______ _______

Vol. 1 yearPrivateCapt.
L. Nowell, Col. Roebust, Major T. Ford, Genl. Greene

5. In what battles was he engaged? Kittle Creek S.C., Eutaw Springs, S.C.

5. Where did he reside when he entered the services? Rutherford County, N.C.

7. Is his statement supported by living witnesses, by documentary proof, by
traditionary evidence by incidental evidence, or by the rolls? Traditionary

8. Are the papers defective as to form or authentication? And if so, in
what respect? Correct

I certify that the foregoing statement and the answers agree with the
evidence in the case above mentioned.

F. Vaugh Examining Clerk
Feb 8, 1833

State of Tennessee, Roane County
Circuit Court September Session 1832 on this 12th day of September 1832
personally applied in open attending a court of.....................David
Liles, aged 82, a resident of the County of Roane and State of Tennessee, who
being ____ duly sworn, according to law, doth on his oath make the following
declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provisions made by the act
of Congress ______ June 7, 1832 that he enlisted in the Army of the United
States in the year _____ with father(?) Daniel Jackson and served in the 10th
Regiment or 6th as recollected and served under the following officers below
mentioned. Applicant was born in Virginia on Mayho River, born year (no year
- from best information is 82 years old) not recollected that he has no
record of his age. Applicant was residing in North Carolina, Rutherford
County when he enlisted that he served as a regular sold. And applicant
states that both Lassiter and General Green were the field officers, states
that the Captain's name was Yearby and Lieutient Hannah. Applicant enlisted
for the term of three years and served out his term under the above named
officers. That he was in one battle at Kettle Creek in the State of South
Carolina. Town 60 or 70 miles from small river called _____. Applicant was
marched from Rutherford County through Greenville (NOTE: maybe Granville),
Larance, ________ County, South Carolina to Baking(??) Bridge upon _____
River, then to the high hills of Lanter. Applicant was stationed ___ the most
of the time at the two ______________________ places, some times was sent out
on scouting parties, that applicant received discharge at the high hills of
Lantee(?). Returned home. Applicant then volunteered in the same county where
he then resided for the term of twelve months wherein the following officers,
Bob, Roebuck, ____ or John Ford and General Green field officers and Captain
Lewis Duvall, Hancer _____ ____ applicant continued to serve out his term of
twelve months received his discharge from Captain Duvall but has lost the
same applicant was in one battle at Eutaw Springs, South Carolina that he was
______ with William Washington who was called Colonel and nephew of George
Washington who was taken prisoner by the British and carried to Charleston as
applicant understood that he marched from Rutherford County _____ through
Greenville, Pendeleton and Larence county South Carolina and joined the main
army at Bakins Bridge in South Carolina remains principally on Bakers Bridge
for three months then was stationed a while at the _____Hill of Sanatee,
applicant thinks that they then went to George ____at which place received
his discharge and went home that he was acquainted with Bobo Cagey who
sometimes commanded applicant continued to reside 23 years in Rutherford
County ____ then moved to Tennessee Knox County resided about 7 years in said
county then moved to Roane County where applicant has resided ever since to
wit about ___ years that he has been for a good _____ with the following
person neighbors and _____ of Roane County who ____ testify as to his _____
and their belief of applicant services as a _____ of the revolution to with
______ M______ Smith, Col Joel Embree, _____ Terry, Samuel Dickey and son of
applicant ___ ___ Solomon if it was necessary applicant has no documentary
evidence of his service and that he knows of no person by whom he can prove
his services. He hereby relinquishes claim whatever to a pension or annuity
____________ and declars that his name is not on the pension roll of the
_____ of any State
David (his mark) Liles
Sworn to and subscribed in open court this day and year above written.
WE ________-residing in the County of Roane and Meriwether Smith residing in
___ Court hereby certify that we are with acquainted with David Liles who has
______ and sworn to the above declaration that we believe him to be avout 82
years of age that he is respected and believe ___ Neighborhood wherein he
resides to have been a soldier of the revolution and that we concur in that
opinion. Sworn to and subscribed in open court this day above written

This thread: