LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2007-04 > 1176437437

From: "Bob Lindsay" <>
Subject: Re: [LINDSAY] A Review of The Early Robert Lindsays of Virginia
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:10:40 -0600

Hello Ron and list:

I have this information to provide as I have also tried to sort out this
genealogy, principally because John Lindsay (father of Robert b. ca 1740) is
ancestor of some Group 1 participants and very possibility the father of my
David Lindsay d. 1814, Cynthiana, KY.

The lineage would be thus:

For Group 1 Members and known descendants of Robert Lindsay b. ca 1740,
resident of Guilford County, No. Carolina. Their ancestry could be as
follows:

Thomas Lindsay of Kingswark
Bernard Lindsay of LOCHHILL dd. Dec. 1626 London, England (brother of Robert
of LOUGHRY)
Lt. Col. Bernard Lindsay of LOCHHILL chd. 14 June, 1603 & Rachel Lindsay
(daughter of Sir Jerome Lindsay of Annatland & Agnes Lindsay of the Mount)
Robert b. 1641
Opie dd. 1727
John (..supposed brother of Robert dd. 1784)
Robert b. ca 1740 dd. 1801

Bernard is the brother of another Group 1 ancestor (L0001), namely:

Thomas Lindsay of Kingswark
Robert Lindesay of LOUGHRY (brother of Bernard of LOCHHILL)
bp. Leith, Scotland dd. abt. Feb. 1618, Loughry, County Tyrone,
Ireland
Capt. Robert Lindesay of Loughry b. 1604. Leith, Scotland dd. 18 May, 1674
(Thus we derive the approximate date of Robert's move to Ireland)
Robert dd. 1691
John bd. 1686

The Group 12 Lindsay's would descend from a brother of John, Robert b. ca
1710, d. 1784 as follows:

Thomas Lindsay of Kingswark
Bernard Lindsay of LOCHHILL dd. Dec. 1626 London, England (brother of Robert
of LOUGHRY)
Lt. Col. Bernard Lindsay of LOCHHILL chd. 14 June, 1603 & Rachel Lindsay
(daughter of Sir Jerome Lindsay of Annatland & Agnes Lindsay of the Mount)
Robert b. 1641
Opie dd. 1727
Robert b. ca 1710, dd. 1784 (..supposed brother of
John)
Opie
Robert b. 1774

Margaret Isabella Lindsay (MIL) would have Robert b. 1641 as the son of Rev.
David Lindsay:

Walter Lindsay the Younger of Edzell d. 1513
Alexander Lindsay of Edzell
David Lindsay Bishop of Ross d. 1613
Sir Jerome Lindsay of Annatland & first wife Margaret Colville
Rev. David Lindsay b. 1603 Northumberland CO., VA
Robert b. 1641
Opie dd. 1727
Robert dd. 1784 (..supposed brother of John)
Opie
Robert b. 1774

As for David Lindsay b. 1641, he is presently the unlikely link to both
Group 1 and Group 12. Also, both groups are further linked via. Opie
Lindsay, d. 1727. I believe as you do, this Robert b. 1641 most likely is
the son of Bernard and Rachel. Robert was apparently orphaned at an early
age and my thinking he was in the care of the Rev. David Lindsay. As you
well know, we may be missing a generation here:

There is probably another Robert Lindsay d. 1675, son of Sir Jerome/Margaret
Colville. To make him the grandson of Sir Jerome, however, there would
perhaps need to be added a missing generation...a son of Robert d. 1675 who
had a son Robert b. 1641.

Further, Group 12 descends from an additional Opie Lindsay who was married
three times!
I have never been able to document Opie Lindsay d. 1727 as son of Robert d.
1641 or the son of Rev. David, thus leaving both scenarios in question.

Some Observations:

1) Group 12 could be either the descendant of Rev. David and/or Robert b.
1641
2) If they descend from Sir Jerome through Rev. David their DNA would be
different from Group 1. (And it is! But we canna find a male heir to Rev.
David, his sole heiress being daughter Helen, wife of Thomas Opie, her
second husband!)
3) Their DNA is different and the reason would be that Group 1 descends
through Lt. Col. Bernard and Rachel and the line of Thomas of Kingswark.
4) Group 1 L0001 is a strong candidate to be from the line of Thomas of
Kingswark. Several members DNA are closely related to L0001.
5) This should reinforce the evidence that L0006 & L0085 of the Guilford
CO., No. Carolina Lindsay's are properly associated to L0001 making their
proposed ancestry most creditable.
6) Robert dd. 1784 and his brother John seemingly did not pass on the same
DNA concluding that a) they are not brothers and one is not the son of Opie
Lindsay d. 1727. b) Opie Lindsay is not the son of Robert b. 1641 c) &
Robert b. 1641 is not the son of Bernard/Rachel.
7) The DNA suggests that the line from Bernard/Rachel to Robert b. ca 1740
seems intact, supported by the association/DNA of L0001.

So Ron, I agree with your assessment of the individuals of your inquiry. (If
I have it straight, and one never is sure with this group!)

***One critical notation here: Whyte's reference #38 (page 326) by Adelaide
L. Fries....we need this document...I canna find it anywhere! This is the
reference of the pedigree furnished by Capt. George F. Lindsay re: "Opie,
son of Robert, being elsewhere described as 'the oldest son', and himself as
the father of Robert, Thomas and John".

Ye Bob