LIPFORD-L ArchivesArchiver > LIPFORD > 2002-03 > 1015960696
From: "Beverly" <>
Subject: [LIPFORD] Edward LIPFORD, born abt. 1800, and his descendants
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:18:16 -0500
Edward LIPFORD, son of Scruggs and Nancy LIPFORD, was born abt. 1800 in Abbeyville District, SC.
He married Eleanor P. Pettus, daughter of Captain James Pettus and Louisa Shotwell Pettus, abt. 1820 in Abbeyville District, SC.
Edward was listed in the Abbeyville District, SC 1820 census, page 008.
He was also listed in the 1830 census, page 177.
In 1840, he was listed again.
Abbeyville SC District Wills and Bonds:
Box 128, pack 3467
Estate admnr. Dec. 31, 1846 by Chas. A. Cobb, John W. Cobb, John Cochran, Wm. B. Roman bound unto David Lesly Ord.
Abbeyville District Sum $2000.00
Settlement made Nov, 3, 1848 to ascertain the share of Jackson Lindsay and wife Mary.
(Left no wife but several children.)
1. Adelaine LIPFORD, born 1820, Abbeyville District, SC.
She married Charles Anderson Cobb. Their children were: J.W. Cobb,
Nancy Cobb who married R.A. Kirkpatrick,
Mary A. Cobb who married John Cheatham,
Charles A. Cobb, Jr.
Charles Cobb's estate was settled Abbeyville, SC in 1842.
2. John LIPFORD, born 1821-1839 in Abbeyville District.
married Elizabeth Lyons bef. 1842 (Abbeyville District SC Marriage 1777-1842) by Pauline Young) and had a son:
Charles Ethelred LIPFORD, born 1869, married Nina Heath Richard, and died 1921 in Green Cove Springs, Clay County, FL (buried at Old Hickory Cemetery).
3. Pvt. William P. LIPFORD, CSA, born 1821-1839 Abbeyville District, married Bettie Walker, daughter of John C. Walker, Oct. 5, 1887 in Ninety-Six County, SC.
Abbeyville District Wills and Bonds:
LIPFORD, (Minors)- Box 128, pack 3470
January 5, 1849 Chas. A. Cobb, John W. Cobb, W.B. Roman bound unto David Lesly Ord. Abbeyville District Sum $900.00 Chas. A. Cobb made guardian of Frances W., Wm., Clotilda Lipford, minors.
Civil War Roster:
William LIPFORD SC 19th Inf. Co. C
William LIPFORD SC Inf. Holcombe Legion Co. F
William C. LIPFORD SC Inf. Hampton Legion Co. D
W.W. LIPFORD SC 16th and 24th (Cons.) Inf. Co. K
W.W. LIPFORD SC 24th Inf. Co. H.
William P. LIPFORD, Private, was discharged June 1862 from the 19th Infantry Regiment, Company C, CSA SC Volunteers.
4. Ann LIPFORD, born 1823 Abbeyville District, SC married Middleton Cobb.
5. Amos LIPFORD, born aft. 1827 Abbeyville District, SC.
Abbeyville District Wills and Bonds:
Box 128, Pack 3469
January 5, 1859 J.W., Chas. A. Cobb, J.N. Cochran bound unto David Lesly Ord. Abbeyville District. Sum $222.80. J.W. Cobb made guardian of Amos LIPFORD, a minor of Edward LIPFORD.
An A.T. LIPFORD was listed in the 1880 Census for Abbeyville, Roll 1481, page 31.
6. Mary Susan LIPFORD, born 1827 Abbeyville District, SC. died May 19, 1903 Denison, TX (Calvary Cemetery). Mary married Jackson Lindsay abt. 1845 in SC. (recorded in Records of Ninety-Six and Abbeyville Districts in SC 1774-1890). They had children
Nancy Ellen Lindsay, born 1845 SC or AL, died 1916 in Denison, TX,
Elvira Lindsay born 1848 in Alabama,
Mary Ann Lindsay born 1849,
James Thomas (Jim) Lindsay born 1851 in Water Valley MS, died 1917 in Denison, TX (Fairview Cemetery), and married Martha Jane (Jenny) Parker;
Mack Lindsay, born aft. 1849
William Edward (Bill) Lindsay,born 1852 Water Valley, MS, died 1901 Denison TX (Calvary Cemetery).
7. Allen LIPFORD, born 1835 Abbeyville District, SC, died 1861-1865.
January 11, 1848 Thos. Stacy made guardian of Allen LIPFORD, a minor.
January 5, 1849 Chas. A. Cobb made guardian of Allen LIPFORD, a minor over 14 years and son of Edward LIPFORD.
Civil War Record:
LIPFORD, Allen SC Infantry, 3rd Bn. Co. A,
2nd Battalion Georgia Sharp Shooters Co. D, formed from re-enlisted men Apr. 19, 1862.
Abbeyville Wills and Bonds:
LIPFORD, Allen Box 128, Pack 3468.
8. Frances E. LIPFORD, born abt. 1837 Abbeyville District, SC, died in Marshall County, Mississippi.
Frances had as guardian Chas. A. Cobb....listed as Frances W.
She married Baurach Lindsay Dec. 17, 1851 in Abbeyville District, SC. (recorded in Records from Ninety-Six and Abbeyville Districts 1774-1891),
Frances and her sister married brothers Baurach and Jackson Lindsay.
Frances moved to St. Clair County, AL then to Pontotoc, MS and later to Marshall County MS which is where most of the family still reside today.
Children of Frances and Baurach Lindsay are:
Saffrony Lindsay, born 1853.
Samantha Lindsay, born 1856 , married a Mr. Johnson.
Emmaline Cotilda Lindsay, born Jan 1, 1859, Pontotoc Co. MS died Sept 4, 1937 Marshall Co. MS., married George Washington Mills.
Mary Lindsay, botn 1861.
Jackson Lindsay, born 1864.
James Lindsay, born 1866.
Tammie Lindsay, born 1867, married James D. Mills (brother of G.W. Mills listed above).
Missouri Lindsey, born 1871.
9. Cotilda LIPFORD, born abt. 1837 Abbeyville District, SC. She married Charles D. Mann and moved to Pontotoc County, Mississippi. She was named for her Aunt Cotilda Pettus. Cotilda (spelled Clotilda in the document) was also a minor who had Chas. A. Cobb as guardian.
|[LIPFORD] Edward LIPFORD, born abt. 1800, and his descendants by "Beverly" <>|