LITHUANIA-L Archives

Archiver > LITHUANIA > 1998-06 > 0898793627

From: <>
Subject: Re: [LITHUANIA-L] Wystiniec, Poland/Vystytis, Lithuania
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:53:47 -0400

Hi Donna,
On my map I have Lake Vis~tytis on the border between Lithuanian and the
Kaliningrad region. Vis~tytis is at the north end of the lake and it has a
church. Pavis~tytis is 1 mile due east on the little river running east out of
the middle of the lake.
I would guess the records would be in the Polish archives.
Good luck,
Arv

Author: Non-HP-dhagberg () at HP-USA/o2=mimegw4
Date: 6/17/98 10:18 PM

After years of searching and guessing I think I finally found the town my
gggrandmother was from. I found them in LDS films of Lutheran Church
records of births, marriages, deaths, for Wystiniec(Wischstiten or
Vishtitis), Suwalki, Poland; later Vystytis, Lithuania.
Helena MYSZKUS daughter of Georg and Anna (REICHKOF) Myszkus
born ( if I'm reading the records correctly) in Powisztajcie (Pavistytis)
September 1876. This must be a small settlement near Vystytis, it is on
the Russian/Lithuanian border along with a lake (which I believe may have
the same name as the town), 102.2 miles west of Vilnius.
Is any one familiar with the above names or towns? The records cover
1863-1940, where would I find earlier records? I would love to find
something about what this area is/was like, can any one suggest any sources
of information? Thanks in Advance. Donna