LITHUANIA-L Archives

Archiver > LITHUANIA > 1999-02 > 0918155879

From: Amy Reynaldo <>
Subject: [LITHUANIA-L] slang terms
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:17:59 -0600

It's been my understanding that "Litvak" was a slang term referring
specifically to Lithuanian Jews, with "Lugen" as the gentile alternative.

I never heard "Pollack" used for Polish Jews--in my experience, it's widely
used to refer to any old Pole.

My Lithuanian/Polish father doesn't consider "Lugen" or "Pollack" to be
derogatory terms--he wears them with pride! (Whatever, Dad...)

>From: John Patrick <>
>
>I guess it was much like the term "Pollack," or a term for a Polish
>Jew. It fell to the level of an insult by becoming a common derogatory
>expression used by the proud, Catholic Poles. (Lithuanians have the
>term "Litvak" which I've never heard used in a similar fashion to
>deride.) So, perhaps the proud Polish cabbies were making fun of their
>bumbling brethren by calling them Lugens (Lithuanians). I guess this
>almost answers your question.
>
>Ronald Gillen wrote:
>>
>What is the derivative (etymology) of the Chicago
>> derogatory word 'Lugan' for a Lithuanian ???
>> What does it mean and how is it used???

This thread: