LITTLEFIELD-L Archives

Archiver > LITTLEFIELD > 2008-08 > 1219698324

From: <>
Subject: Re: Article about Bevis (1638) and has passenger list
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:05:24 -0400

I did find the site that she gave is but here is a copy of the artical.

Passengers on the Ship Bevis in 1638
Founders of Early New England Families
© Rosemary E. Bachelor

Aug 12, 2008

Founders of numerous American families, many of them English followers of
the Rev. Stephen Bachiler, arrived at Boston in 1638 aboard the ship Bevis.

The small band of men, women and children who watched Southampton, England
fade into a watery horizon on a May day in 1638 were sailing for the
American colonies as an ultimate test of their faith. They were torn between
the loss of loved ones left behind, perhaps forever, and hope the future
would hold opportunities for those children so excitedly exploring the decks
of the Bevis.

They were more fortunate than some. Among their number was Richard Dummer,
who had been to New England before. His efforts on behalf of religious
dissenters went back to at least 1629 when a group of London men founded
"The Plow Company."

Rev. Stephen Bachiler
Their pastor was the salty old Rev. Stephen Bachiler, Oxford graduate and
former vicar of Horwell (Wherewell) until he was, in 1605, one of the first
non-conformists excommunicated from the Church of England. These dissenters
came to America in three groups. Rev. Bachiler and Dummer had sailed with
one of the earlier ones. Now Dummer had come back to England for his family
and was returning to New England.

Bevis Passenger List Found More Than 300 Years Later
The Bevis passenger list did not surface until 1965, when researcher Harry
Rogers, who lived in England and was conducting research for Carpenter
family descendants in the Unite States, found it in the British Museum. "I
felt I had been guided to it, as no reference to its location exists," an
excited Mr. Rogers reported.

Following are the Bevis passengers, the age of the primary person listed
being given first.

40 John Frey of Basing, wheelwright, his wife and three children
40 Richard Austin of Bishopstoke, tailor, his wife, two children and a
servant, Robert Knight, carpenter
37 Christopher Batt of Sarum, tanner
32 Ann Batt, his wife
20 Dorothy Batt, sister, with five children under (age) 10
24 Thomas Good, servant
22 Eliza Blackston, servant
18 Rebecca Pond, servant
62 William Carpenter of Horwell
33 William Carpenter of Horwell
32 Abigail Carpenter and four children under 10
14 Thomas Bansholt, servant
38 Annis Littlefield and 6 children
John Knight, servant
Heugh Durdal, servant
26 Henry Byley of Sarum, tanner
22 Mary Byley
20 John Byley
Thomas Reeves, servant
40 Richard Dummer of "Newengland"
35 Alice Dummer
19 Tho: Dummer
19 Joana Dummer
10 Jane Dummer
9 Stephen Dummer, husbandman*
6 Dorothie Dummer
4 Richard Dummer
2 Tho: Dummer
30 John Hutchinson, carpenter**
26 Francis Alcocke
19 Adam Knott, tailor
22 Will Wackerfield
20 Nathaniel Parker of London, baker
18 Samuel Poore
14 Dayell (Daniel?) Poore
20 Alice Poore
15 Richard Bayley
20 Ann Wackerfield
A copy of a section of the original passenger list is given below.

* It is unlikely a boy age 9 would be designated a "husbandman"; it is
possible either the age or description is wrong.

** A note in the right margin indicates this and the following names
belonged to people who were servants.

Sources: Rosemary E. Bachelor has access to the Harry Rogers correspondence
and has a photocopy of the original Bevis passenger list. She first wrote
about this subject in 1980.

The copyright of the article Passengers on the Ship Bevis in 1638 in
Genealogy is owned by Rosemary E. Bachelor. Permission to republish
Passengers on the Ship Bevis in 1638 in print or online must be granted by
the author in writing.