LOCKE-L Archives

Archiver > LOCKE > 2011-12 > 1324580025

Subject: Re: [LOCKE] Don's autosomal DNA test results!
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:53:45 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Linda
Yes, the autosomal test looks at all the ancestors, male and female, not just the direct male or female lineages.
It appears it is only good back to about 4th to 5th cousins, but more inclinded to find 1st, 2nd and 3rd cousins.
So there is some limitations with this test, anything past 4th and 5th cousins starts to become a bit "iffy".
So far I only have 3rd, 4th and 5th cousin matches, and do not have any 1st or 2nd cousin matches.

Knowing the family tree paper trails is pretty much a must in order for this test to make sense I think.
I would guess about 95% of my nearly 180 matches are to people and surnames I have never seen in my family tree.
But that remaining 5% of my matches has proven to be quite interesting matches!

One of my matches has Brooks in their tree, a surname well known in my Lock family! The participant emailed me last night acknowledging to me her Brooks family comes from Hart County Kentucky, the very place where the Lock's and Brooks migrated to from Barren County Ky.
So this female participant clearly has Brooks and Lock DNA in her in order for her to be a match to me.
I do not know yet exactly how this cousin is related to me, need to do a bit of research on the Brooks family, but I am betting there is a Lock directly related to that Brooks lineage.

In my direct Lock lineage, to my personal knowledge I have no direct Brooks blood ties, so our match I am betting has to be related to the Lock family through the Brooks family. There were multiple Lock / Brooks marriages over the generations, the family's are closely related to one another.

I have a match to a French Canadian of the Valcourt surname, a surname known to me because that was my great grand mothers surname!
My mothers grand mother! So yes it does look to the female side of the tree too. I knew my great grand mother, but knew very little about her family. We only knew her family were from Qubec and were French Canadians.
That was a match I really was not expecting to see, but was pleasantly surprised for it to show up :)

Don