LOCKHART-L Archives

Archiver > LOCKHART > 1999-08 > 0934902134

From: "Leroy & Mildred Collier" <>
Subject: Re: [LOCKHART] Re: [LOCKHART-L] Re: Jacob Lockhart Sr.
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:02:14 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: <>
To: <>
Date: Monday, August 16, 1999 2:39 PM

>Jacki:
>
>Take a look at ID# 19474 on Joseph Lockert also 19473 James
Lockert.......I
>bet this is the connection that he is looking for. Sarah Miles moved to
>Montgomery County, Tn with children when Aaron died, they moved to the Port
>Royal, Tn area which is just a couple of miles from the Ky line. As a
>matter of fact those who died there including my Ggrandfather are buried in
>place called Guthrie, Ky .
>
>Stewart County that Gene speaks of is just south of Clarksville, Tenn and
>very well could be his connection. It would be a lot easier if all
>Lockharts/Lockerts/Lockarts/Lockards/Lockhearts would have used the same
>spelling wouldn't it? If it is a connection and he wants to contact me it
is
>ok to hgive him my email address. Actually I am close enough to Stewart
>county to do some research for him if it will help.
>
>Faye

Faye, Aaron Lockert's father was Aaron Lockhart who settled from Scotland
to Pennsylvania. Aaron and his brother, John, migrated to South Carolina and
established a Mill on the Broad River at a place which became known as
Lockhart Shoals. It is still called Lockhart Shoals and and there is still a
flour mill there. His brother ,John, was one of my 4th generation
grandfathers.

Both of these brothers changed their name during the time of the revolution
because their brothers were Tories and supported the British. John's family
changed their name back after the Revolution. His son, John, was with
Jackson during the battle of New Orleans. His son, also John, died at Shiloh
during the Civil war. He lived at Scotts Hill in West Tennessee. His widow
and all of their children moved to Weakley Co., TN. Their daughter Margaret
Elizabeth married Leroy Wester Collier who were two of my grandparents.

Sarah Lockhert moved her family to Montgomery Co., TN and established a
flour mill on Red River. Some of their descendants still live in this area.

I hope the above may help you.

Leroy Collier, 1644 Smallhouse Rd., Bowling Green, KY 42104

This thread: