LOFTIN-L Archives

Archiver > LOFTIN > 1997-04 > 0862458551

From: ASHLEY D LOFTIN <>
Subject: Shadrach & Elkanah Loftin
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:49:11 EDT

It is interesting to see information coming on the list regarding the
connection between Leonard Loftin and Shadrach Elkanah Loftin. I agree
with the lineage. I have information that the wife of Elkanah Loftin, Jr
was Ann Lovick, Bn ca 1710 NC, d ca 1776

Like many Loftin family researchers, I question the death date of Benoni
bn 16 Jan 1705 as 6 Jan 1756, as given by Mrs. Creasy. These dates are
given as the day of the month, the month of the year and the year. This
leads one to suspect the this information came from an old tomb stone
.
There appears several records which mention Benoni or Bennie
Loftin/Lofton at much later dates. The North Carolina Taxpayers,
1701-1786, shows Bennie Lofton of Dobbs County in 1769, and Frances, s/o
Bennie in Dobbs County in 1769. This record has to be for Benoni Loftin
and his son Francis Loftin. In the Early American Series, Early North
Carolina, Vol 13, by Accelerated Indexing is shown Benjamin Loftin, Dobbs
County in 1780 also Francis Loftin is shown the 1780 cencus. From Colony
of North Carolina, 1765 to 1775, Abstracts of Land Patents, Book 22, Page
228 #4434 reads "Crown to Benoni Loftin 30 Jan 1773 51 acres in Dobbs on
south side of Neuse River adjoining Henry Eaton and John Loftin". There
are several other records indicating that Benoni lived beyond 1756.

The court house of Lenoir County burned in 1878 and 1880. Most of the
records for old Dobbs County and Lenoir County were consumed. This is
probably why no will has been discovered for Benoni. During the wars that
raged in this area, many cemeteries were vandalized or destroyed. Many
believe the stone for Benoni was concerned. It is felt by many that the
information on his stone was read incorrectly. That the date was 6
January 1786. rather than 6 Jan 1756. It would have been easy to confuse
the 5 and an 8 on an old stone. Benoni would have been about 81 years of
age.

The first wife of Benoni is not known. Some researchers think she might
have been a Lovick. His second wife was Sussannah Burtonshall. She is
mentioned as such, in the will of her father.

I believe that the birth year, of 1654, for Leonard Loftin W 1720 NC is
incorrect. It just does not compute. More about this in a later issue.

This thread: