LOKRIG-L Archives

Archiver > LOKRIG > 2000-05 > 0957763973

Subject: [LOKRIG] Obituaries - many surname variations
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 01:32:53 EDT

>From Lokrig-L at RootsWeb.com, Gene provided a family ID for a previously
posted obituary:
Subject: [LOKRIG] Obituary of Elise Putnam Laughridge

Ms Laughridge is wife of Walter W. Laughridge, who is a son of Roger
M(onroe?) and Winnie W. Baber Laughridge, grandson of Joseph Monroe and
Irene/Arrena Dysart Laughridge, great grandson of of David Monroe and
Mary Corrinna Duval Laughridge, and great great grandson of Joseph (born 1818)
and Catherine E. Fox Laughridge of Burke and McDowell Counties, NC.
Rayburn sent this obituary:
From: (Rayburn Loughrige)

Springfield, Mo News Leader dated May 5, 2000. MOUNT VERNON< MO.
Mrs. Carol J. Lochridge, 62, a retired secretary, died at 4:57 p.m. Tuesday
in
Cox Medical Center South, Springfield. Serivces will be at 1 p.m. Saturday
in First United Methodist Church, Mount Vernon, with burial in Wise Hill
Cemetary, east of Billings under direction of Fossett-Mosher Funeral Home
Mount Vernon.
---------------------------------

I requested this obituary, but there wasn't much information in the death
notice:

>LOUGHRIDGE, Grace A; 86; St James MO; Rolla D-N; 2000-3-29

She died 28 Mar 2000.
Arrangements by James & Gahr Mortuary, St. James MO 65559
-------------------------------------

Someone recently asked about African-American Lokrig families. This obituary
seems to be about one such family - perhaps Joe has census records about
them. Karen, I'd like to see this one re-printed in the next Lock-On since it
has a wealth of information.

>LOCKRIDGE, Shadrach Meshach Rev Dr; 87; Robertson Co TX>San Diego CA; San
>Diego U-T; 2000-4-8>

S. M. Lockridge, 87; renowned preacher with Calvary Baptist
Sandra Dibble
STAFF WRITER
08-Apr-2000 Saturday

S. M. Lockridge

For more than 40 years, the Rev. Dr. S.M. Lockridge's sermons boomed from
the pulpit of San Diego's Calvary Baptist Church and far beyond -- at
crusades, revivals, religious rallies and evangelistic conferences around
the world, reaching the powerful and the meek.

This week, his voice was stilled. Dr. Lockridge died Tuesday at the age of
87 after several years of failing health.

"He was a giant among preachers," said San Diego City Councilman George
Stevens, who was ordained by Dr. Lockridge and served under him as an
associate pastor. "His messages were so powerful, so penetrating. You
somehow felt that he knew totally what he was talking about."

During Dr. Lockridge's tenure at Calvary Baptist, one of the most prominent
African-American congregations in San Diego, his ministry reached more than
100,000 people. He oversaw 5,000 baptisms and increased the church's assets
from $25,000 to more than $1 million.

But Dr. Lockridge's influence was felt far beyond the city. He served in
key regional, state and national positions with the Baptist Church,
including president of the National Missionary Baptist Convention of
America.

He held doctorates and numerous honorary degrees and was often sought as a
public speaker, even after he retired in 1993. He served as guest lecturer
at numerous schools and universities and on the faculty of several others,
including the Billy Graham School of Evangelism.

Dr. Lockridge was active in the civil rights movement, and under his
leadership Calvary Baptist hosted several of its leaders, including Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr. and the Rev. Jesse Jackson.

"His unique, powerful preaching gift opened doors for him that transcended
racial boundaries," said the Rev. Timothy Winters of Bayview Baptist
Church. "He was excellent in terms of breaking down ethnic distinctions."

Among his admirers was former Gov. Pete Wilson.

"He touched, and made better, thousands of lives, including mine," Wilson
recalled in a written statement. "There was about him a dignity, a quiet
wisdom and a gentle, healing power that made him both a truly great pastor
and a great force for good far beyond his church."

Shadrach Meshach Lockridge was born March 7, 1913, in Robertson County,
Texas, the oldest of eight children. His father was a Baptist minister, and
"when he went to college he decided he was going to do something else,"
said his sister, Willa Faye Whitman.

A graduate of Bishop College in Marshall, Texas, he worked for two years as
a high school English teacher. But in 1940 in Dallas, he felt the call to
preach.

He was married the next year, to Virgil Mae Thomas. In 1942, he accepted
his first pastorate at Fourth Ward Baptist Church in Ennis, Texas.

In August 1952, he was named pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in San Diego.

Those who heard his sermons there remember a tall, elegantly dressed man
who spoke in a roaring voice about the Scriptures in a manner so commanding
that listeners had a hard time remaining in their seats.

"At times we felt like we needed a seat belt," said Barbara Andrews, a
longtime parishioner at Calvary Baptist and the church's multimedia
ministry director. "You had to stand up . . . you just wanted to fly away."

Among those who heard his message was former state Sen. Waddie Deddeh.

"He was not just a pastor at Calvary Church; he was a pastor for all those
people who listened and cared and wanted to have spiritual nourishment,"
Deddeh said.

Dr. Lockridge never had children, but to dozens of Baptist preachers who
came up under his tutelage he was nonetheless a parental figure.

"He was like a father to me," said the Rev. Walter Wells, pastor at Mount
Erie Baptist Church, who as a little boy belonged to Calvary Baptist. "You
couldn't listen to Dr. Lockridge without being motivated and stimulated,
and without desiring to be better and better."

Surviving Dr. Lockridge are his wife, Virgil Mae Lockridge; sisters, Willa
Faye Whitman, Dorothy Watson and Ruby Lockridge, all of Dallas; and one
brother, Roscoe Lockridge of Las Vegas.

Dr. Lockridge's body will lie in state from 1 to 4 p.m. tomorrow for
viewing at the Malcolm X Library and Performing Arts Center, 5148 Market
St., San Diego.

A wake is scheduled for 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Calvary Baptist Church, 719
Crosby St., San Diego. Services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday at the
church.

All acknowledgments of sympathy should be sent to the family of Dr. S.M.
Lockridge, c/o Anderson-Ragsdale Mortuary, 5050 Federal Blvd., San Diego,
CA 92102.

also on 4/8-10, a paid notice:
LOCKRIDGE, S. M. DR.
Wake/Visitation on Tuesday April. 11th at 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Funeral
Services on Wednesday April 12 at 11:00 a.m. both at Calvary Baptist
Church.
Anderson-Ragsdale Mortuary

This thread: