LONDON-COMPANYS-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON-COMPANYS > 2000-08 > 0967080143

From: "Peter Hutchinson" <>
Subject: [London-Companys] Book recommendation
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:22:23 -0400

Readers on this list might enjoy a book I found: Wallace Notestein's The English People on the Eve of Colonization 1603-1630 (Harper&Row 1954). This book, one of a series "The New American Nation" edited by Henry Steele Commager, is highly readable and authoritative, and should be readily available in university or larger city libraries. It describes each of the English "classes" of the era and in so doing gives us the political-economic-religious climate that produced our first immigrants. Not the least of its virtues is a twelve-page bibliography. Best wishes, Peter Hutchinson of Phippsburg, Maine.

This thread: