LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1998-05 > 0894242270

From: WHEATLEY Society <>
Subject: LONDON-D Digest V98 #252
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 20:37:50 -0400

Philippa Garnsey wrote . . . .

>In 1840 my 4 g grandfather was living at 2 Brunswick Terrace, Stepney when
>he married. In 1851 his brother in law Mark A J Mayo/Mays was living at 1
>Brunswick Terrace, Commercial Road.

>>Len, in Cloudy Somerset responded . . . .

>>I have had alook at some old photocopy maps I have and an 1873 Ordnance
>>Survey, but bo sign of a Brunswick Terrace, although there is a Brunswick
>>Street, just off the South side of Commercial Road, is Christian Stree,
go
>>South Down Christian Street, on the left or to the West is Fairclough
>>Str.,Brunswick Street was first turning on the left and ran in a
north/south
>>direction between Firclough and Ellen Street

>>>Dave also responded . . . .

>>>My book on Victorian London shows several Brunswick Terraces
>>>in the following Parishes :

>>>Hackney in the parish of St Luke.
>>>Islington parish of St Thomas.
>>>Shorditch in th Parish of St Mary

Both the above respondants are correct with their respective details, none
of
their suggestions, may I be so bold as to say, are the correct location
that you
seek?

I think that the location that you are researching is marked on the
Victorian maps
and is called BRUNSWICK PLACE and can be seen on the Victorian A to Z map
page 17 M25 ( off Back Church Lane on the west side).

This small place is listed as falling within the parish of St JAMES
RATCLIFFE which
was destroyed early in WW2 about 1940. The records for this church are
held at the
GLRO as far as I can tell. There seems to be no trace of this church in
the Phillimores
Atlas and Index of Parish Registers.

I wish you the very best of luck with your research into your family
history.

<< regards >> David S Wheatley

(SMALLFIELD Surrey UK Tel: +44 (0)1342 843189)
The WHEATLEY Society.
The Guild Of One Name Studies (member #2279)

No wasted paper. This e-mail is made of 100% recycled electrons.

ENDS

This thread: