LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1998-05 > 0895915508

From: Peter DeAth <>
Subject: Re: LONDON-D Digest V98 #325:Holy Trinity Church Hoxton
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 10:25:08 +0100

Hello All,

Sybil wrote:

> Can anyone help me with information about the above church?
>
> I have been told that it was in Bletchley Street, Shepardess Walk
> about a mile from Holy Trinity in the Nichol, that it is no longer there
> and the last marriage was in 1943. That it was probably a victim of
> the Blitz. This was told me by a fellow genealogist, sadly now
> deceased.
>
> I have since been told that there is still a church of the Holy Trinity
> in Bletchley Street marked on the road map of the area so
> perhaps a new one was built there after the war. It is on one side
> of the de Beauvoir Square estate.

Quoting from the Survey of Parish Registers of the Diocese of London -1962:

Holy Trinity Bletchley Street, Shepherdess Walk, Hoxton
Baptisms and Marriages : 1848-to date (1962)
The parish has been united with St Mary Britannia Walk.
(1998 comment: Registers at the London Metropolitan Archives: from the Survey
reference it appears to have survived the Blitz - as records were with the
incumbent in 1962)
Cliff Webb's "Genealogical Research in Victorian London" (1993) gives a range
of years for the Registers: Christenings: 1848-1936, Marriages 1848-1943 as
being at the London Metropolitan Archives, after these dates, they are with
the incumbent - which confirms the present existence of the Church.

Holy Trinity Old Nichol Street
Baptisms 1867-1892
Marriages 1889-1923.
The last marriage register was closed in March 1927 on the union of the
mission with St Leonard Shoreditch. (1998 comment: Registers with London
Metropolitan Archives)

Cliff Webb's "Genealogical Research in Victorian London" states that Holy
Trinity, Old Nichol Street. was also known as Jew's Episcopal Chapel and
confirms Register dates above.

Best wishes

--
Peter DeAth (East of London FHS 0037/London & N. Middx FHS 4172)

This thread: