LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1998-05 > 0896389257

From: Peter DeAth <>
Subject: Re: LONDON-D Digest V98 #343:Cockney Ancestor
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 22:00:57 +0100

Hello All:

Penny wrote:

> Hi members of the EoLFHS
>
> Is there anyone with a copy of of Cockney Ancestor numbers 59 and 55 ?
> Could you look up:
>
> 59 - page 18
> The Gazelle & its passengers.
>
> What is the date of the event being described ?
> Is there any mention of Hull (the port) or Goole.
> Is the captain's name BELL?
>
> My great great grandfather was Charles BELL, a master mariner from Selby/Hull
> who sailed the Gazelle in the 1830s. He disappeared about 1840.
>
> 59 - page 13
> The Princess Alice Disaster
>
> What is the date of the event being described ?
> Why did it happen?
> Where did it happen ?
>
> 55 - page 52
> Lost at Sea
>
> What is the date of the event being described ?
> Why did it happen?
> Where did it happen ?

This is an interesting story and contains many personal facts which may
interest our Australian readers, so herewith repeat of the CA article (Summer
1993) on the "Gazelle and it's passengers"
In the early 1800's it was not unusual for Londoners to leave for the
Australian goldfields. It was however unusual to buy the vessel to take you there.
In 1853, James MEEK, a block and mast maker of Phoebe Street, Limehouse, and
Thompson HART, a sailmaker of Catherine Street Bromley, together wiuth Henry
CASELLI of Deptford and Thomas WILLIAMS of Woolwich, bought the 133 ton brig
Gazelle. They formed the crew from relatives and associates, placed their
families and friends on board, and set sail down the Thames bound for the port
of Gelong in Victoria. The following is known about those passengers known
to have East of London links:

Marriages of Thompson HART and Sophia COTTON, as well as Dean HART and Sarah
DUNMO took place at St Martins in the Fields. It is thought that Dean, at
least, was born in Poplar, and all were living in Bromley in 1853. James
MEEK married in Poplar; his wife Sarah was born in Stepney, her father being
John FULLBROOK, a sailmaker, James and Sarah's children were baptised at St
Dunstan Stepney.

The ship's surgeon was Dr James LUGG from 33 Collet Place, Commercial Road
East. His wife, Jane Elizabeth CAVERHILL, had been baptised at Holywell,
Shoreditch in 1806. Also on board Gazelle were George Grip NORMAN, an
enginesmith, whose wife Hannah was born in Poplar to Hannah and Gilbert
BROOKE, a chemist. Some passengerws have been traced back to Woolwich.
Others who may well have been Cockney include: James ATKINSON, 42, shipwright;
James FEW, 26, a butcher and dairyman ; George GILBARN, 44, brassfounder;
MARTIN Alfred, 24, a clerk and George 32, an engineer; Edward MILLS, 27,
wheelwright; John PETERKIN, 22, painter; James QUICK, 33, shipwright; Charles
RISING, 33, seaman; Joseph ROBERTS, 26, shipwright and John WILLIAMS, 33,
shipwright. All ages and occupations are as given on the 1853 passenger list.

Although most of the passengers on the Gazelle remained in Australia, it is
thought that some may have returned home after their adventure. Any readers
who believe that their family may have been connected with the Gazelle, and
anyone who knows anything of the story, are invited to write to:

Mrs Dorothy ANDERSON, 7/88 Clowes Street, South Yarra 3141, Victoria, Australia.

Tony Benton's article in CA 59 (page 13) is also interesting but rather too
long to repeat here. Suffice to say that, ion answer to the query - the event
took place on 3 September 1878 and it took place on the Thames, when the
vessel was enroute to the Pleasure Gardens at Rosherville, near Gravesend.
It was a collision between the packed 200-foot long pleasure steamer
"Princess Alice" and the 890 ton Newcastle-bound collier "Bywell Castle",
resulting in the deaths of 640, men, womean and children, from an area of
east, south-east and north London. If you want further details Penny- email
me privately..

CA 55 (Summer 1992) page 52 has another interesting article: "Lost at Sea!"
by Member Margaret STEVENS and too long to repeat here. It refers to the ship
"Euphony", sailing from Demarara to London: Captain Stephen Malone
WHITTINGHAM. The ship was abondoned in a sinking condition 10th Dec 1886, at
latitude 46N 16W, having been struck on the 8th Dec by a heavy sea, apparently
some 500 miles from Lands End. Penny - if you require more details of the
article - email me privately

Best wishes

--
Peter DeAth (East of London FHS 0037/London & N. Middx FHS 4172)

This thread: