LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1998-08 > 0903577512

From: "Alison Griffith" <>
Subject: GEORGE GRIFFITH - CRICKETER FROM SURREY
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:45:12 +1000

My husband's great-great-grandfather was George Griffith from Send & Ripley
in Surrey.

He played cricket for England, and was a member of the First Eleven who
came to Melbourne Victoria in 1861 for the first test match with Australia.

He also ran the "Talbot Tap", adjoining the "Talbot Hotel" in the High
Street, Ripley.

I'm told that he later had a pub at Guildford, perhaps.

Does anyone have any knowledge or information on George Griffith. He was
born circa 1808 in Send and Ripley, and married Ann Stephens. I don't know
when he died.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Alison Griffit

This thread: