LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1998-10 > 0908662766

From: "Pickard - Hungary" <>
Subject: Laundries
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 00:19:26 +0200

Dear All,

While on the subject of laundries, I thought I would throw in my 2d's worth.

When I lived in North East India, each village had its own laundry. This was
usually an area near the stream, well, or village tap, with a number of
stone sinks/scrubbing boards, often each had a little roof over it, just to
keep the rain out. Most villages had about 5 - 10 of these sinks in the
'laundry plot'. I can imagine this being constructed along the lines of
Victorian English village laundries, as the British were there in force
then, to explore for oil and to grow tea.

The house I lived in had its own laundry sink, actually at ground level, and
our 'dhobi wallah' used to use his feet to 'scrub' the clothes. We always
used to joke that that part of India, was the place where they used our
shirt buttons to break rocks, as often the laundry was done on rocks by the
river side, and we could see them roll up the shirts, and slap them onto the
rocks. However I rarely lost buttons, and after two years of hand washing
there, I actually had less wear and tear on my clothing than in the Middle
East, where everything was done by machine !!

I'm sure they have a lot in common with early laundries in England.

Happy Hunting :-)

Pickard Trepess
Back in Hungary for one night, before driving to Holland.

This thread: