LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1998-10 > 0909402212

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: Appeline - unusual name
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:43:32 +0000

In message <>,
Keith Dickason <> writes
>One of my ancestors was registered Appeline Mary WILLGOOSE in 1842. Any
>suggestions where this unusual forename comes from? Her parents were
>William and Emma and they lived in Tottenham at the time. William was a
>carpenter.
Appollina or Appollonia comes up very occasioanlly in London, from an
old Latin name - the sort of things senators' wives were called.
Possibly William was doing some work for a literary man and the name
once heard took his fancy. Probably the infant was called polly at
home, and people though she had been christened the slightly commoner
Paulina.
Wilgoose, incidentally, stands some chance of coming from Bucks
originally. There were some in Aylesbury, connected with the building
trade.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society