LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0938801232

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: Baker Journeyman
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 19:07:12 +0100

>I have just received a death certificate with the profession as 'Baker
>Journeyman'. I know this man was a Master Baker, but does anyone know what
>'Journeyman' means.
It means he was not a master baker at that stage, but a properly
apprenticed and qualified baker working for someone else. Maybe he had
been a master in the past and was now too old or sick to run his owwn
business. (Journeyman,= paid by the day, or really, on a day's notice to
quit, not a travelling person. )
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society