LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0938807006

From: "JohnFHH" <>
Subject: Re: Occupation
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 20:43:26 +0100

Hi Marg
Yes....BUT were there oil-lamps about in 1750? A question which set my mind
wandering.
Candles, quite sophisticated rush-lights burning animal-fats.Simple
oil-lamps have been known since Roman times, but until the invention of a
decent wick (when was this?) and the advent of paraffin oil in the 1830s i
would imagine the oil-lamps were less powerful than candles.
There were engines, which presumably needed some sort of lubrication. I
don't think mineral oils arrived until the 19th century?
There were, of course, large quantities of vegetable oils - olive, linseed,
turpentine used as lubricants, in cooking, and in paints- there were Oil &
Colourmen
The OED gives Oilman as a maker or seller of oil.
Hopefully someone will come up with a more definitive or illuminating
answer.
Cheers

John Henley (if it bounces try again, trouble withISP,I am still here:-) ]
researching
HENLEY, PARKER, PRENTICE, SECKER, RAPER, DURDEN
[London/Middx./Essex/Suffolk]
ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [Berks/Hants/Wilts]
HILL [Staffs/Cambs/Berks]