LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0938827325

From: Lyn Beggs <>
Subject: CLARK(E) Advice needed re Birth or Death cert.
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 21:22:05 -0400

I am searching for the following surname CLARK(E).
Specifically, John CLARK and his father John Daniel CLARK.

JOHN CLARK, b. July 1853, Bishopsgate? Shoreditch?.

I have obtain his military records, which he lists his date of birth as
July 1853 and place as Bishopsgate on one page and Shoreditch on other.
John enlisted October 16, 1873 in London. In 1880 he was living in Eastney.

Located John on the 1881 census living at 3 Hill Lane, Portsea, Portsmouth
with his wife Sarah JEFFERIES and his mother-in-law Eliza HOOPER. I have a
copy of John and Sarah's marriage cert. of July 12, 1880 St. James's Parish
Church, Parish of Milton Portsea, County of Southampton. John's residence
at the time of marriage is Eastney and his father is John Daniel CLARK who
was a Cabman.

John and Sarah had the following children who were all born in Portsmouth
Herbert CLARK b April 27, 1881 married Florence
Sarah E. CLARK b 1886
Florence A. CLARK b 1887
William James CLARK b 1888
Elizabeth Maud CLARK b 1890
Thomas Stanley CLARK b January 22, 1895 married Phyllis Lilliam KING
daughter of Edward KING and Elizabeth BENNETT

As there are a lot of John CLARK's listed in the 3rd quarter of 1853 I do
not know which one would be mine. Not sure which direction to take to help
me pin point my John. Should I be looking for his death which I believe he
died after 1895 and before 1915 in Portsmouth? Would his death cert. list
more information regarding his place of birth and his mothers name?

Lyn Beggs
Zephyr, ON Canada

Researching:

BENNETT / BURRELL / CLARK / CLOSE / GAZEY / HAYES / JEFFERIES / KING /
MARKS / MUDGE / PLANNER / SNOW
Hampshire / Kent / Middlesex / London / Surrey

This thread: