LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0938978069

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: St. Marks, Clerkenwell
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 20:14:29 +0100

>Unless it has been overlooked in the myriad of messages received on this
>site - I have not discovered whether or not this church still exists.
>It certainly existed in and about 1848 -54 as a number of Summers
>births are recorded . I

St Mark's Myddelton Square, dates from 1828 only (Marriages 1839 only)-
the registers are at the London Met Archives. It was apparently closed
in the 1930s and the site must be oocupied roughly by the Family Records
Centre. There were burial registers from 1836-56 only and all city
churches were closed to further burials because of the cholera
epidemics. I think it is unlikely that any stones would be preserved.
(not that most people had gravestones anyway in the last century.)
Presumably later burials were in the out-cemeteries fro Clerkenwell
borough.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society