LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939009436

From: Linda D Pagnani <>
Subject: China man
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 23:57:16 -0400

The china dealer discussion has renewed a curiosity I have had for some
time. My 4X gt grandfather's occupation was listed on his son's law
clerk's apprenticeship papers, in 1776, as a china man. He also had
another son who became a barrister. I have often wondered if it would
have been usual for a china merchant to have been wealthy enough to
afford to have two sons enter the legal profession? The family lived in
the parish of St. James Picadilly. The trade directory listed the
business as Market Street. I am not very well versed in the English
"class" distinctions of that time, but it has always seemed to me that
merchants would not have been of the class to have their sons become
lawyers and solicitors. Could the designation china man have perhaps
indicated something more than a person who sold china? Any and all ideas
open-mindedly accepted.
Cheers,
Linda
(in damp and chilly Michigan hoping that London, where I will be heading
in a couple of weeks, is less so!)

This thread: